Consolidated Kansas

Thank you. I don't ship hatching eggs. Too much of a hassle because even if the person doesn't know how to hatch or the postal service throws the box around the buyer always blames you for bad hatches. Not worth the hassle!!! I do ship lots of birds. Mostly goslings though. I just hatched my first two of the year on the second. I have a couple chick orders but getting payment for those is sometimes a hassle. Most people just want to buy already started chicks. I keep saying I won't do that but it's hard not to hatch the desireable birds when they lay. But I am going to have to do that when I get the current chicks sold. I just can't keep up this pace and make any money.
The Sebastopol are easy going docile geese and the only time they are ever aggressive is during breeding season. Mostly the gander is aggressive acting and hisses if you are attempting to "rob" eggs from his girlfriend. Buy this year I have a goose that has bitten me twice. She is very determined to sit on eggs. Too bad. The rest of the year however they are sweet and docile and very adorable. So you get about 2 months of aggression at most out of a year. Most of the time they act aggressive but just run if you don't back down.

I would love some goslings but I dont think DH is quite ready for geese yet unfortunately. :rolleyes: and I understand about the eggs. Do you have a price list of all your chicks and goslings you ship?
I also have another question for you. A good friend of mine that lives about 30 minutes from me wants to get chickens. She has 3 kids ranging from 4 to about 10 months and wants to free range her birds a good share of the time. What would you recommend as the best family friendly breeds? I thought Brahmas would be nice but wondered what you'd recommend. She would be planning to butcher extra cockerels.
Thank you. I don't ship hatching eggs. Too much of a hassle because even if the person doesn't know how to hatch or the postal service throws the box around the buyer always blames you for bad hatches. Not worth the hassle!!! I do ship lots of birds. Mostly goslings though. I just hatched my first two of the year on the second. I have a couple chick orders but getting payment for those is sometimes a hassle. Most people just want to buy already started chicks. I keep saying I won't do that but it's hard not to hatch the desireable birds when they lay. But I am going to have to do that when I get the current chicks sold. I just can't keep up this pace and make any money.
The Sebastopol are easy going docile geese and the only time they are ever aggressive is during breeding season. Mostly the gander is aggressive acting and hisses if you are attempting to "rob" eggs from his girlfriend. Buy this year I have a goose that has bitten me twice. She is very determined to sit on eggs. Too bad. The rest of the year however they are sweet and docile and very adorable. So you get about 2 months of aggression at most out of a year. Most of the time they act aggressive but just run if you don't back down.

There is a price list tab on the web page. I would definitely recommend brahmas for a family friendly bird with dual purpose for butchering,. You're going to get a lot of meat out of those boys. Just keep in mind bigger birds take longer to develop. But the longer it takes to grow the more flavor the meat will have.
I would also recommend sussex but once in a while you will have a sussex rooster who gets aggressive. This will usually only happen when he has to compete with a dominant rooster for the ladies. If they are all the same age and butchered before they all start competing to breed you shouldn't have a problem.
I raised them for years and never had a mean cockerel, but when they were sold and a younger boy was the underdog he became a jerk. Just be sure not to make pets of the boys so you can butcher them when you need to.
Also if ordering from a hatchery you'll likely get different attributes than the standard heritage breed. But I don't think a brahma could ever be mean. They are just naturally sweet birds.

I ordered a couple geese from Danz! I can’t wait. I will have to keep a photo log of their growth. They are such beautiful birds and their temperament makes them more attractive to me.
I would Love to see photos!!! And I'd love some geese just not sure if I can convince hubby especially since we're hoping to move closer to my family this coming fall. I just might have to try giving my powers of persuasion a workout tho. Lol
@chicken danz thanks a ton for all the info. I'm going to pass that info on and we may be ordering some chicks from you soon. I'm a fan of the sussex as well, just wish the coronation coloring wasnt so hard to find.

Yes I do have East Indies. Mine aren't great for exhibition yet. They are too large. I am hoping to do some selective breeding to get the size down. They're still acceptable but i really wanted the smallest of them. Did you know they tend to come in two sizes? One is more like a typical domestic duck and the other is a small duck more like a call duck. It depends on the strain they are from.
I tried to buy a tiny drake at the Gardner auction but one other person decided she needed him more than I did. I let her have him but she had to pay big for him.
Yep @CayugaJana , I'm hoping my future hatches go better. The first hatch I only hatched two and then one just refused to eat no matter what I did. I finally lost it day before yesterday. So the other one is living with chicken chicks for the time being. They don't like being alone.

Welcome @lutherpug!

Hello guys, I haven't been getting alerts for this thread for quite awhile... Anyway, I have a question. Do any of you know of breeders that sell polish in SE Kansas? I've been trying to find some polish for awhile, so a friend gave me the idea to post it on here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom