Consolidated Kansas

Wow checoukan!! That sounds like an amazing building! Who's building it for you? I used to work in the post frame construction industry and know a lot of the builders in Kansas. If it is a post frame building you'll be amazed at how quickly it goes up!

I think it may be someone from Missouri that will be doing the building. We will have to tear down too older building to do this, but they have been here for 90 + years, and they are going from all the storms we have had in the last 10 years.
Once they get my new barn built, then they are going to work on the big barn. Guess I need to go take some pictures for "Before and then After" album.

When I had parrots, the vet told me to scald milk and put bread in it. I do not know what for, but it seemed to clear up the runs. I let it cool first of course...

I am so jealous. I have been pricing just a loafing or lean-to structure with no floor and an open side and they are rediculous high. Tweety who do you recommend that is fast and cheap? I don't want lousy work. I just want cheap work. I can buy a kit for what I want for and save a few thousand but I want this thing built now. I'd really like to build a nice big barn to cover all the bases but there's no way I can ever afford that. I'm just trying to make room for the birds and have them more together so it doesn't take so much effort to feed and water.
I finally went out and painted the trailer floor. I had such a large area I just poured paint out of a 5 gallon bucket and "painted" with a little old worn down broom. It actually went pretty well. There's plenty of paint on the walls cause I was trying to fill all the edges I could. Now if my back and arms weren't aching so bad I'd be ready to start building. Of course I guess I should let the paint dry first. I figure now my runaway paint will show back up after all that searching, since I spent money on new paint and used half of it. I told DH he'd better get the concrete footings poured cause I was going to start building,. It didn't light any kind of fire in him though.
Wow this morning was not a good morning. My Dad now has the flu (I stayed away so at least I know he didn't get it from me.) And my Mom's Heart was acting up. Her feet were very swollen and she just couldn't breath. I honestly didn't know if she was going to live through church. If she gets this flu it will kill her. I had to really fight back the tears all morning. The parking lot at the church was almost empty and the preacher said lots of people called saying they had the flu. Half of the people there were coughing and sniffing. I am really really scared. I had to leave my parents house after they got lunch and I filled the bird feeders for them. I knew if I stayed I'd start bawling. It is very hard.
Well I took some meds so I'd better get back out there and feed the birds. I should do some more painting around here but I think I've enjoyed all I could stand for one day.

I am so jealous. I have been pricing just a loafing or lean-to structure with no floor and an open side and they are rediculous high. Tweety who do you recommend that is fast and cheap? I don't want lousy work. I just want cheap work. I can buy a kit for what I want for and save a few thousand but I want this thing built now. I'd really like to build a nice big barn to cover all the bases but there's no way I can ever afford that. I'm just trying to make room for the birds and have them more together so it doesn't take so much effort to feed and water.
I am not sure on the prices, but overall post frame buildings are fairly cheap. You can find builders that do nothing but post frame barns and buildings at www.nfba.org. This is the association that I worked for for over 7 years. Ran their tradeshows and training. You may have heard of some of the bigger builders such as Morton, Lester, or Wick buildings. Most of the builders are Amish or Mennonite so they are very fast. I building can go up and be fully functional in just a couple days!. Here is one that is about 1/2 an hour from you that I know does quality work.

Quality Structures
167 Hwy 59
Richmond, KS 66080
Anderson County
Phone:
(785) 835-6100
Fax:
(785) 835-6120
http://www.qualitystructures.com
Email:
[email protected]
Area Served:
Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri.

And BTW.. I will be thinking about your parents. I hope this passes quickly and they don't get horribly sick (or worse). Did either of them get the flu shot this year?

Last edited:
I've gotten a quote from them and they are 6 weeks out on the schedule. I could probably build it myself in that length of time. I know these guy's work and it is great but I just can't afford it or the wait. I check out the site later and do some more checking.
Thanks for thinking of my parents. I lived states away from them for 30 years so I value every minute I have with them now.

Verna, I am so sorry to hear about your parents, especially your mother. I can't thank you enough for the tour of all your animals. I don't know how you keep up. I will try to call you to make arrangements to pick up the chicken. I wouldn't mind both if you would sell or trade for the other. I put five sebastopol eggs in my incubator tonight so hopefully somehow we will get you some sebs. By the way, my presentation went well. I was so nervous.

I had a couple of friends visit this weekend. One gave me the schedule from the almanac which saves me the trouble to look them up. Peas go in tomorrow. Last year I planted sweet peas at the same time and they did wonderful and were so pungent. Charlene also gave me two packets of Sweet Pea Current tomatoes. She said they are the size of raisins and really good. I'll probably start them inside next month. Has anyone else tried them?

I did get some yard work done today. Trimmed one of my pear trees and got part of the garden turned so I can put in the peas tomorrow.

Took me a big part of the day today to get caught up reading all the posts.

Sorry I didn't get to read back, I just really needed to come vent. My "farm landlord" is driving me crazy. I get along with the husband fine but his wife wears the pants and he dosn't know much about the bird other than how to do chores and what critters to watch out for. This gal is going to try to run my whole opperation, it's already starting and I havn't even got my quail eggs yet. I spent $75 yesterday on a huge hutch to use as grow out pens for my quail and she's throwing a fit because it's not in optimal sunlight (this was going to be a butcher/ sale pens and would only hold birds for 2 weeks max.). The D*** thing weighs somewhere around 800lbs and now I have to figure out where and how to move it. I'm about ready to sell off everything and throw in the towel, about anything I could raise out there following her expectations, affordably, would be unmarketable trash and/or coon food.

Like I said I didn't get a chance to really read back but I hope everyone is having a good start to spring, welcome to any new members we may who may have joined, and hello to all of my freinds. Thanks for letting me vent and if I can't have birds I'm greatful to have so many freinds who do.

dang, Ritter! How come she thinks she can run YOUR operation?
barnie.gif
(if you do sell out, I might be interested in the D*** hutch!) Hugs to you ya and I hope tomorrow's better!

I've also heard that Gatorade in a bird's drinking water helps solve the runs!

Danz, I'll say a prayer for your parents tonight. I sure hope they don't get any worse and start to feel better. Very scary and obviously you are very worried about them. You are an amazing daughter to be helping out with the driving, shopping and caring of them. I would check around for other builders-- one quote isn't the end all. We bought our barn kit from Sutherlands. We paid around $6K for the kit and built it ourselves and it's a 30X50. They wanted another $4K to build it for us... still, that's not a bad price, it was just that when we were building it, we were both new in our jobs and house poor after building the house. No idea if you have a Sutherlands up by you-- but that would be an option to check into? (of course-- that price was from a few years back, but surely they haven't gone up much more than that)

Rittert, your situation out there sounds NO bueno. Is there any way you can play nice with her and just work around her? If she wants you to move it, then tell her you need her to help you move it. Perhaps she will change her mind when it's near impossible? Sometimes it's better to play into a situation when you know the odds. That's how I work, anyway. I usually end up being right, too. ;) I've found that the biggest complainers are the best people to rook into helping make the changes "they want"-- then when they figure out it's a lot of work and hassle, they usually end up leaving you alone when they realize that their complaints only get them rooked into more work. Just a suggestion.
wink.png

Checoukan-- oooh!! BIG congrats on your new barn!! yay!! Be sure to take pictures of the barns you are tearing down! It will be fun to see what the location looks like "before" and "after"! Sounds like your office and the rest of the barn set up will be really ideal for how you are going to be using it. :)

Quote:
Hens prefer their "privacy" when laying. They'd rather lay in something that's small and tight over something that's open with lots of space. I'd leave the shelves in.

Back
Top Bottom