constant pecking at other hens. why??

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
i have two small hens that are at the bottom of the pecking order. the one has a completely bald butt, she lost all of her feathers. the other one only has a couple left. i want to know why they seem to only go after the tail feathers and why they keeping pecking the bald spots even after we spray blu-kote on them. i was told it would discourage pecking on that spot but it hasn't. im a little concerned, as we keep going through random periods of warm and then really cold weather. i dont want the girls getting sick or dying because they cant keep warm.

idk... i have an extra coop but we're in a cold spell and im worried they wont be able to keep warm. but now its spreading throughout the flock! i have two more who are being pecked. i cant separate them all from each other...

I've read here that chickens tend to peck if they don't have enough space, or are bored. There have been some interesting ideas for entertaining chickens during the more confined winter months. If you go to the search bar, I'm sure you could find a thread or two with suggestions.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom