Constipated Rooster!! (Cured)

Valmai

Chirping
Sep 15, 2021
Recently (1-2 days) my 14-16 week rooster has stopped crowing and chasing after the hens. He keeps trying to poop but nothing comes out, sometimes just a little, there was a lot of poop around his vent area. He was eating earlier today but didn't even come close to food at noon, I tried forcing him to drink water because the last time I saw him drink water was several days ago (Maybe he was drinking when I wasn't there?) but he didn't open his beak at all. I did feed him a tiny bit of coconut oil and then he ate some more by himself and then drank water afterwards which did help because I saw him poop a lot after that, but it still wasn't normal, small pieces like before. I noticed him trying to defecate after that as well. What should I do? Should I keep feeding him coconut oil? I don't have much access to medicines. All of my other 4 hens are perfectly fine, just this poor guy.

It seems the coconut oil worked, so give him more. You can give him a teaspoon at a time several times today to get him unblocked.

Check his crop. Is it full and hard, lumpy and hard, soft and squishy? Check the crop again in the morning before he eats or drinks to see if the crop has emptied overnight.

It seems the coconut oil worked, so give him more. You can give him a teaspoon at a time several times today to get him unblocked.

Check his crop. Is it full and hard, lumpy and hard, soft and squishy? Check the crop again in the morning before he eats or drinks to see if the crop has emptied overnight.
I checked it in the morning today, it didn't feel full or lumpy, It was rather soft

Should I give him coconut oil after he eats and drinks or before? (I'll check the crop again as well before and let you know :))

The mans before he got sick

Attachments

• IMG20220506121932.jpg
    IMG20220506121932.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 3
Update: I fed him a lot of coconut oil today (it took a while, he was being super stubborn and didn't want to eat, but then I offered him a big piece and he started eating it like there was no tomorrow) and after just around 20-30 minutes he let out a huge poop, and then a while later an even bigger one. He's improved so much since then, chasing the hens, jumping around and pretty active now. Still doing the tiny poops but he doesn't look lethargic or in pain anymore, super happy!!! @azygous

Back
Top Bottom