Container hanging on hardware cloth

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I would like to move my oyster shell off the ground and in a hanging container of some sort, on the hardware cloth of the run. They keep knocking it over when it’s on the ground. I’ve tried putting it up on bricks too. Any ideas on what to put it in and how to attach it?

Thanks!

How many birds?

I just use a small plastic hanging feeder with some lighting chain and a couple of S hooks. It hangs off a 14g bugle head screw into a structural member of the run But you could use the cloth if it's not too heavy I imagine. Less than $20 of materials.

It holds about 3kg of shell grit. Which last a dozen birds a very long time.

The chain enables easy height adjustment via the S hooks, and easy removal for cleaning and refilling. Just cut chain a bit longer than needed and move the hook up and down the links to desired height.
You could also use a camping fire tripod to hang it from if your structure is inadequate. Or make your own tripod/stand from a few scraps of timber/bamboo.

I hang feeder and waterer also. Just makes things easier imo.

Last edited:
I would like to move my oyster shell off the ground and in a hanging container of some sort, on the hardware cloth of the run. They keep knocking it over when it’s on the ground. I’ve tried putting it up on bricks too. Any ideas on what to put it in and how to attach it?

Thanks!
Picture of the container?

You can just put it in a regular food
tray - the kind that hangs on the cage - and clip out every other wire on the hardware cloth wherever you want to hang it to make enough room for the hooks.

Also, you could just use a light chain and a couple of S hooks and a standard hanging feeder. Put a screw in a structural member of the coop, then put an S hook on each end of the chain, and put 1 hook over the screw and 1 hook on the feeder.

Picture of the container?
It’s just a standard chick feeder, the ladies don’t go through oyster shell that often.

How many birds?

I just use a small plastic hanging feeder with some lighting chain and a couple of S hooks. It hangs off a 14g bugle head screw into a structural member of the run But you could use the cloth if it's not too heavy I imagine. Less than $20 of materials.

It holds about 3kg of shell grit. Which last a dozen birds a very long time.

The chain enables easy height adjustment via the S hooks, and easy removal for cleaning and refilling. Just cut chain a bit longer than needed and move the hook up and down the links to desired height.
You could also use a camping fire tripod to hang it from if your structure is inadequate. Or make your own tripod/stand from a few scraps of timber/bamboo.

I hang feeder and waterer also. Just makes things easier imo.

You can just put it in a regular food
tray - the kind that hangs on the cage - and clip out every other wire on the hardware cloth wherever you want to hang it to make enough room for the hooks.

Also, you could just use a light chain and a couple of S hooks and a standard hanging feeder. Put a screw in a structural member of the coop, then put an S hook on each end of the chain, and put 1 hook over the screw and 1 hook on the feeder.
My run ceiling is on a slant, so no good middle to hang anything from. Do either of you have a picture of how you hung yours?

I have a mini bucket that holds about 12 ounces. I have it about 6 inches from the run floor resting on the run base snd use mini bungees to secure it to the HC wall. Perfect height for even my two fat-stubby- legged lazy hens. :p

That's the advantage of the hanging chain. It always hangs plumb. No matter the angle of the roof. While mine is held by a screw on a rafter. It would work just as well hanging from a hook into the mesh.

Grit feeder is a bit dirty sorry. Needs a clean. They like to dust bath right next to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_110154.jpg
    IMG_20230529_110154.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230529_110147.jpg
    IMG_20230529_110147.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 12
I have a mini bucket that holds about 12 ounces. I have it about 6 inches from the run floor resting on the run base snd use mini bungees to secure it to the HC wall. Perfect height for even my two fat-stubby- legged lazy hens. :p
Could I see a pic?
That's the advantage of the hanging chain. It always hangs plumb. No matter the angle of the roof. While mine is held by a screw on a rafter. It would work just as well hanging from a hook into the mesh.

Grit feeder is a bit dirty sorry. Needs a clean. They like to dust bath right next to it.
Thanks! That makes more sense now!

Back
Top Bottom