Continued failure to thrive hen

LLvida

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
I posted at the beginning of the month about a 1yr old hen who was not walking well and sitting in the coup. We brought her inside and gave special food and made sure she was warm with electrolyte water. Did Epson salt soaks and no egg stuck.

After spoiling indoors for a few days she was walking better and moved back to the flock. Integrated well, all seemed better although she was a little slower and rested more than the others when foraging.

This last week she seemed much slower again. I picked her up and she has lost a lot of weight despite me witnessing her eat pellets/grain and forage on grass.

Brought her back inside for warm quiet food. She is refusing most foods (rickets diet), only will pick out bread and a few grains from her feed. She eats those like she is starving (she is!) but won’t eat worms I bring in, scrambled egg yolk, minced meat or anything with protein/fat. I’m dipping some bread in yogurt and can trick her into eating a few crumbs of that.

I am stumped…watery diarrhea or tiny sparrowlike poops. No limping, but now just so weak. Plumage is so gorgeous that she looks like a healthy girl when you don’t pick her up.

Back
Top Bottom