Controlling mice

Has anyone ever tried to eliminate mice by using equal parts flour , sugar, and baking soda? Did it work for you? I guess the theory is that the mice can't pass gas and it kills them. I'm trying it (keeping it out of reach of the chickens) but I want to know if it's even worth trying.
I did try this... my place is so humid it turned into a puddle in the dish, but still got eaten some. No proof if it worked or not. Also, I'm dealing with rats...
https://www.ratrelief.com/does-baking-soda-kill-rats/

I will say that I don't think it is humane per say... as it is probably very painful not being able to pass gas.

But the snap traps I use sometimes leave them caught by a leg and screaming. The dunk traps obviously include slow drowning as they can swim very well. My big dunk trap I think I will keep dry and attempt to dispatch more humanely after trapped. I have the zap trap too, it catches a few here or there, but nothing to write home about.

But since I don't use poison, trapping is just a way to control them and will never eradicate them. I will be adding in this non toxic method of poisoning rodents... I'm gonna try peanut butter mixed with the soda and made into little balls. Maybe add a little corn meal if needed to hold shape.

Keep up the good fight! :fl

Having dealt with mice for many years, I can tell you the reusable, heavy duty (plastic or metal) snap traps are the most humane and quickest death. I have had 2 mice over the years not get killed right away, but I think it was because I set the trap on a soft/uneven surface and so it snapped incorrectly before their head was in "place." Set traps along fence lines, and walls as mice like to sneak around along walls. Mice typically don't travel more then 30-40 feet from their nest, so you may also be able to search that out. Posion is the worst thing to use, please don't. Mice are just a part of life with chickens, we control the population, and won't ever eliminate it over the long term. Read about the dangers of poison in this link. https://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2013/poisons-used-kill-rodents-have-safer

I'm using the bucket method + the snap traps. Since I have ravens here that keep the hawks away, I toss the mouse bodies on the roof of the barn for them. They come get them usually within a few hours. Tried to feed to chickens but they just picked at it and left it. NEVER any poison on my place!

Back
Top Bottom