Controlling mice

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
10 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
Has anyone ever tried to eliminate mice by using equal parts flour , sugar, and baking soda? Did it work for you? I guess the theory is that the mice can't pass gas and it kills them. I'm trying it (keeping it out of reach of the chickens) but I want to know if it's even worth trying.

I never heard of that. I have mice galore in my tortoise shed. Please let us know how it works.
I use now a bucket of water and a plank like trap that dumps them into the bucket too drown when they try too get the bait. I don't like it, it doesn't kill them fast enough.

I want to make one of these traps too. I understand how you feel. I felt the same for a while but I need to get these guys out here. My cat is an indoor cat but he does a good job of any manage to get inside.

Baking soda works! Mice and rats cannot pass gas whatsoever and it is perfectly safe for chickens. The rats also kept knocking over the containers but they were very flimsy.
Ive been very concerned with using poisons because our birds either caught or found a rat and ripped it to shreds and ate it. It was pretty gross. Anyway, chickens obviously pass gas :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick
We also use an electric trap that just zaps them and kills them instantly and painlessly.

I will take some pics tomorrow. It's to dark out now. It's a third stall of a garage with another shed attached. For summer they go in and out. In winter they live in what we call table enclosures inside the shed.

Teach your chickens to hunt them. I use those little live traps, where the mouse crawls in and the door flips behind it, when I get one, I shake it to disorient the mouse and drop it in the coop. I haven't seen a mouse in months, but I randomly walk out to see something like this.

Attachments

• 20181019_171040.jpg
    20181019_171040.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 26
IMG_3573.JPG
Pic above is a table in the back and two one the right. Pic below from the outside, but that's the added shed and only for summer. The portion the tables are in is a walled off third stall of the garage. We had a 3 stall built when we moved here so one could be for the torts. 4 stall garage not allowed in the city, so we build the shed add on.
Last pic below is inside of one of the tables
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG
@Tortoise I’d love to see your set up for your turtles... we had a red slider as kids :)
Not pretty but keeps them warm, exercised and healthy.

Teach your chickens to hunt them. I use those little live traps, where the mouse crawls in and the door flips behind it, when I get one, I shake it to disorient the mouse and drop it in the coop. I haven't seen a mouse in months, but I randomly walk out to see something like this.

I've tried. They want nothing to do with them! I did have 1 hen that looked to eat mice but she away a couple months ago and nobody else will eat them or even try.

Back
Top Bottom