Converting a playhouse in to a chicken coop!! theoretically...

emmasuzie

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
this is my playhouse we (me and my mum) are going to convert. we have wanted chickens for a years, and we have FINALLY convinced my dad
big_smile.png
we have a playhouse at the end of our garden, and we feel it pointless to buy a new one if we can convert this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64982048@N04/

we were thinking of taking the floor up at the front up and putting chicken wire around with a gate at the front so we can walk in and out. would it be a good idea to knock it down from the right of the door, leaving the beams supporting the structure. and patching it back up again so it is a 3rd of the size. and putting chicken wire around the structure. creating a run at the front and right. if you get me lol.

we will let them out of their run for most of the day and we are going to fence off the long grass to about 4 foot high, we are getting hens that have clipped wings, will this keep them in? also, judging from the photos, would this be enough room for 5 chickens?

any advice will be really appreciated
smile.png

Beautiful playhouse to work with ~ what are the measurements of it?

Edit: I'm not one to offer advice on construction but it sounds like you have a decent plan and I do believe that clipped wings can still fly, just not as far/high. It puts them off balance if one is clipped. If both are clipped they can learn to adjust & still fly a bit.

Last edited:
This would make a wonderful coop,esp for 5 chickeys .
thumbsup.gif
I would leave the floor if you are thinking deep litter method will make much easier to clean . Such a nice little porch for hanging out put a couple of planters out there kewl. Some hardware mesh for the windows . I personally would not use chicken wire for anything it really won't protect your chickeys, coons can reach right thru. You might check out craigslist for a dog kennel run they are usually pretty cheap on there, slap some hardware mesh around the bottom with a skirt you good. You could make quite the chicken palace pretty inexpensive , habitat restore , craigslist are really pretty good resources.Wish I had that playhouse. Check interior designs on here for your nesting boxes which can be milk crates, 5 gal buckets , old litter boxes, a roost made from closet rod. I am pretty good at finding free stuff. I built a coop out of pallets it really is cute , we have 65.00 in it for the hardware hinges etc. Just check out the different highly imaginative people on here for design ideas.
smile.png

What a great opportunity! Good luck in your endeavor...you must be excited. Definitely make your fence a little higher if you are going to let them fend for themselves all day or they will eventually hop it.

I would not take the floor up either. I'd wire in what's already there and add a people door (build your own screened door) between the two posts there at the porch. That way your chickens would have an indoor and an outdoor area. As long as you're putting them in each night, just about any kind of wire run along metal posts can make a good daytime chicken run for them. But I"m with ladyride - I would not use chicken wire on your screened porch...not great at being predator proof.
That will be an adorable chicken coop
clap.gif
I'm envious!!

Oh my goodness....thats a beutious playhouse, that will be one awsome chicken house, what spoiled chick's you'll have - good for you!! Oh and....
welcome-byc.gif

Please let us see it when its done.
caf.gif

I have a cedar playhouse I got off of Craigslist, all painted up all purdy, its 4'x 4' and seems to be just fine for my four (they have access to the run 24/7 though, it would be too small if not)

If I may, here are some tips Ive gathered at BYC,
old.gif
which work wonders, sand in the run and coop with sprinkles of D.E to help with the flys, so easy to keep clean and odor free (tape a kitty litter scoop to a pole and have a bucket and lid handy and your ready to poop scoop!!) and definatly no chicken wire. I have the realy small hardware cloth stuff, no free chicken dinners here!!

Im excited for you, after years of wanting I now have four girlies, and there 15 weeks old - yippee, eggs soon, so enjoy this exciting time and keep us posted
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom