Converting barn into coop

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
So, when I had chickens before I kept them all in the big barn with little predator problems. I'm a little bit paranoid now after seeing an owl in my yard in the middle of the night for about an hour. To make sure my chicks this spring are going to be safe, I'm redoing a small portion of our barn into a fort knox coop and run. Anyways, I'm in the process of cleaning out this nasty old goat feeder where my parents left a bunch of old barn stuff. I've gotten the first layer of stuff off, and I'm pretty sure there's a huge nest of mice in it! YUCK! When I first cleaned out the whole barn (for the chickens I had before) I found a trash can with like twenty mice at least in it and it was not pleasant. I'm going to get the whole thing really cleaned out so that I can try to keep mice out once it's finished. Right now I'm giving my mousers an hour or so to catch whatever's in the feeder.
On a sidenote, my plans look like they're going to work. The area I'm turning into the coop used to have pigeons in it, and the rest of the area was just a storagey area. I'm going to turn the pigeon loft into a roost and towards the back of it I'll keep their food and water (I'll have water outside as well. The storage area is going to be where the brooder is (I've raised chicks in their in a brooder before about four times). I'm also going to have a few metal trash cans for food, scratch, and anything else mice might get into. The floor of the entire area is going to be concrete. I'm going to add a wire cloth roof over the whole little coop area. The outside will have a run that'll be about fifty feet long and thirty feet wide. I'm going to split it in half and half the closest half to the coop be roofed with predator proof wire (the whole run will be predator proof), and half of that area will have a metal roof for when it rains. That half will be for when I'm not home. The whole run will be bordered with concrete and around the concrete I'll put old concrete blocks I have from my dad (he's a concrete mason so he has tons of concrete block scraps). Hopefully I can get all this done by the time sprint rolls around!
I'm going to get four wyandottes, all different colors. I'm hoping I get one rooster, but if not I might add one.

It is typically pretty hard to predator proof barn conversions, especially older ones meant for hooved animals. I would not even dream of trying to predator proof the large ones around our property.

It's not a very large barn, and it has a dirt floor. We originally built it for goats about 8 or 9 years ago. We don't have goats or pigeons anymore, and I'd kept my other chickens in there in the past. I think it'll do alright once I'm done. The area I want to predator proof shouldn't be too difficult thankfully.

I converted two of my stalls into a coop for my chickens. It turned out great! Now I'm working on an outside run to give them more room to run around. I eventually plan on letting them free range, but I still have one more perimeter fence to put up and then a cross fence to keep the dogs away from the chickens.

I just finished getting the whole area cleaned out! I didn't see, hear, or smell a single mouse and my best mousing cats weren't acting drivey at all so I think it's all good in there! All I have to do now is pour concrete, do the run and other wire!

The roost has been completed! I was going to replace the cheapy door (it broke last year) with a nicer one, but as it turns out we didn't have an extra door like I thought we did, so I have to wait to buy one. So far though it looks like it'll be ready by the time I get my chicks! (If not it will be for finished by the time they're old enough to go out).

Hey guys, so I finished out the measurements for my run, the totally amount of wire I need is 24 yards. What can I use that's not too expensive but will also keep them safe?

Welded wire is cheaper than hardware cloth and more expensive than chicken wire. The strength runs the same too. I am not sure of the price because it ranges greatly, depending on the size of the holes and where you get it.

Back
Top Bottom