Coop bedding/litter options

Leighti, that looks GORGEOUS!!

BTW, I agree shutters aren't needed on windows but for sure decorative ones are cute...chickens respond to natural day night cycles...close the windows if rain gets it wet in there....use the shutter money for two by fours...my 7 week old are happily roosting on their new roosts and like the highest one....about three feet up! I used fallen tree branches for roosts in the run, they love the highest one there too and take their afternoon nap there....you could use fallen branches (free if you can locate some) if they are three inches at least in diameter a(mine are a bit smaller in the run) but they aren't on them all night...! Happy happy chickens!!

You don't want the chickens walking on wire, it's bad for their feet. Most of the poo won't fall through the wire to the sand below anyway, chicken poo is large & messy!

x2. Probably not a good idea for their feet...most folks don't do this...I looked into it too for ease of cleaning but folks say that the poop doen'st fall through anyway....better a solid floor and deep litter....bumblefoot could be a problem with wire....save it for rabbits....

Leighti, that looks GORGEOUS!!

BTW, I agree shutters aren't needed on windows but for sure decorative ones are cute...chickens respond to natural day night cycles...close the windows if rain gets it wet in there....use the shutter money for two by fours...my 7 week old are happily roosting on their new roosts and like the highest one....about three feet up! I used fallen tree branches for roosts in the run, they love the highest one there too and take their afternoon nap there....you could use fallen branches (free if you can locate some) if they are three inches at least in diameter a(mine are a bit smaller in the run) but they aren't on them all night...! Happy happy chickens!!

I'd be making the shutters out of scrap wood that we already have..... FREE! :D But yes, I'm still set on having shutters.. because I'm a dork and want it to look cute as well as be super functional for my baby 'burbs!!!

I'd be making the shutters out of scrap wood that we already have..... FREE!
big_smile.png
But yes, I'm still set on having shutters.. because I'm a dork and want it to look cute as well as be super functional for my baby 'burbs!!!

how about window boxes with herbs for chickies?
tongue.png

Are you making fun of me???
tongue2.gif
LMBO!!! I AM doing window boxes! Not sure about the herbs in them though. I've already got a little herb garden planned out. "Herbs for my 'burbs"!!!
lau.gif

You know I am SO not cause it actually was something I was thinking about (and I have an herb garden too, B.C. (before chickens)).! Mine are spoilt beyond imagining and I am decorating my coop!Microgreens! YUM!! Chickies LOVE it!
gig.gif
hugs.gif

You know I am SO not cause it actually was something I was thinking about (and I have an herb garden too, B.C. (before chickens)).! Mine are spoilt beyond imagining and I am decorating my coop!Microgreens! YUM!! Chickies LOVE it!
gig.gif
hugs.gif

Window boxes are no laughing matter!
smile.png
I have them built onto my run; I'm sure my birds believe that decorations are not optional.

Microgreens are a great idea, too!

LOL, ok, I wasn't sure. :) But yes, I'm very excited about getting the coop prettied up and getting some plantings going. I also bought 3 packs of different variety of sunflower seeds to plant on the west side of the coop as there is no shade. I figured triple purpose, pretty flowers, shade, and then TREATS for the kids!!! :D

I have never grown herbs before.. and never had any real interest in doing so... until now.. for my chickens. :p lol I've also looked up several articles about sprouts and microgreens. It's all very interesting and sounds easy enough to do with great benefits. So I'll probably try that too. :D

LOL, ok, I wasn't sure.
smile.png
But yes, I'm very excited about getting the coop prettied up and getting some plantings going. I also bought 3 packs of different variety of sunflower seeds to plant on the west side of the coop as there is no shade. I figured triple purpose, pretty flowers, shade, and then TREATS for the kids!!!
big_smile.png

I have never grown herbs before.. and never had any real interest in doing so... until now.. for my chickens.
tongue.png
lol I've also looked up several articles about sprouts and microgreens. It's all very interesting and sounds easy enough to do with great benefits. So I'll probably try that too.
big_smile.png

What lucky birds you will have!

Back
Top Bottom