Coop Building Beginner

marcus76

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2019
Hello everyone, I just joined and I have a beginner question obviously haha.. I'm just getting started with some designs for the yard (Michigan, 2 acres) and I am trying to find a decent build schematic to follow. Any tips or pointers? I'm thinking of getting one of these, http://bit.ly/2FtdoIG... Does anyone have experience with easy coops? Not really sure what the best resource is...

Thank you!
-Marcus

Welcome to the forum.

I started off thinking I was going to build an easy coop. Here is my DIY experience https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...our-chicken-coop-build.1318102/#post-21485135 of the costs to build it yourself versus buying something prebuilt.

There are many coop plans, including the link you included, on the internet. If one of those plans looks like it is the coop for you, you can probably save lots of time following the plan rather than having to think each step through on the build yourself. All DIY build projects I get involved with seem to be a lot more work than suggested. If you enjoy building projects, than a coop build may be right for you. If not, I'd suggest looking around for prebuilt coops by someone who actually makes sheds/coops for a living. You pay them for their labor, but you get to enjoy the coop right away.

Last edited:
Any tips or pointers?
Do your homework before choosing a design, so you know what you're looking at.
Hopefully you don't already have chicks outgrowing a box in your living room.
There is a lot to consider, and it will take time.
Most prefab coops, and plans, are not great designs....
...and it's almost guaranteed that the population numbers will be greatly exaggerated.
Many folks buy or build something that is not going to work long term.

Our climate can be harsh, so I strongly suggest a roomy walk-in coop and a solid roofed run where the walls can be wind/snow proofed during winter.
It will make your chicken keeping experience much much easier.

There's 3 great articles linked in my signature that all beginners should read.
Let me know if you can't see or access them.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @marcus76 fellow Michiganian and same name as my dad and bro.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-22_9-6-18.png

Hello @marcus76 and welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join our community. This is the best place learn and share your adventures into chicken world. Yes, listen to the voices of experience. Do your research and don't fall for those cutesy prefab coops on the internet. Even if you have limited skills building your own will be far less expensive and immensely sturdier than those cheap coops. You may also consider a pre-existing (sturdy) shed or purchase a new shed and insert nest boxes and roosting bars. Good luck with your future flock.

Back
Top Bottom