Coop Cam

I totally get you. I don't travel for a living but sometimes at work, I find myself screaming at the wall with frustration. The last few days have been great because watching them makes me giggle, especially when I talk to them through the camera and they look around all lost. These camera have been great but I do see the benefits for better cameras.

My friend said to me so if your house gets broken into, and when the cops asks if you have any footage .... how do you explain you have all these cameras but none of them facing the house. :smackthat was my response LOL.

Just peaked at my girls right now and i swear 2 of them gave me a dirty look.

We have wireless cameras and monitor for our chickens and goats, It is great!
We got our at Harbor Freight It has 8 channels for 8 cameras. The quality is great and really easy to set up fast even for the non computer tech person like me... We are getting another one to put up for our other chicken coop and run when we build it in the spring. It was under 200.00

I have 3 arlo cameras on my coop, under the coop and in the run. I have had them for 3 years now and just love them. Here are some photos.

Under the coop
View attachment 1219201

The roost at night
View attachment 1219202

The run
View attachment 1219206
Ooooh, very nice, :thumbsup

@biophiliac, it sounds like you don't have electricity to your coop, so a wireless cam would be best. The Arlo cameras are pricey, but super easy to set up. They have a really wide field of vision at 130d, so even tho they are a 'fixed' camera (you can't move them around remotely), they take in a lot. There have been some issues with the night IR vision lens getting stuck with the Arlo cams, so that the picture is red. There has not been a good fix for this, but the Arlo Pro cams or Arlo Pro 2 cams don't have this issue. More $, of course. But for ease of set up, they are quite good. There are other wireless (no plug, wifi enabled) cameras like Blink, Reolink, and Ring, but I'm not as familiar with them.

Thanks for that info. I do not have electric to the pigeon loft now, could have it if necessary as it's only a few feet from my window. It's small, 6'x4'.
I found the review below...guess I'll try to figure out which one would serve my purpose. (and start saving my pennies:lol:)
http://asecurecam.com/arlo-pro-go-wire-free-review/

I totally get you. I don't travel for a living but sometimes at work, I find myself screaming at the wall with frustration. The last few days have been great because watching them makes me giggle, especially when I talk to them through the camera and they look around all lost. These camera have been great but I do see the benefits for better cameras.

My friend said to me so if your house gets broken into, and when the cops asks if you have any footage .... how do you explain you have all these cameras but none of them facing the house. :smackthat was my response LOL.

:yuckyuck

Glad you are enjoying you virtual connection to your girls!:D One of these has been on my wish list for a year, time to get serious.

I put the Arlo stickers up to warn potential robbers that I have cameras. They have no idea they are inside the coop!

:lau

I have several different cameras, the one inside the coop is a D-Link DCS-5020L pan and tilt camera. I monitor it with Zone Minder on a Linux PC. the D-Link software is Windoze only so to pan and tilt I have to open the camera up in a Windoze PC. This is a wireless or wired IP camera and needs power. I don't think you will find a battery operated camera. However if the camera is 12vdc a car battery could be used. I don't use the wireless because it keeps dropping out so I just ran a Cat 5 cable to the coop. I also have a HikVision and Amcrest POE (Power Over Internet) IP cameras. All the above are quite challenging to set up. Oh and I have the cameras feeding into a Ubuntu server PC for recording events.

A plug and play kit with cameras and DVR is much easier to setup than the way I do it. My neighbor has a cheap DVR based camera system and she knows next to nothing about technical things. I think she got it from Horrible Freight for $175 or so. Here is one from HF and I'm not saying it's a good or bad one just the first one I found lol.

JT

Nice to see another Linux user in this community.

I recently purchased this Sannce model https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VS9B7L1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on Amazon. It was a very easy setup, although you have to install a hard drive in it if you want recording capabilities in unit. If you do, I recommend a server grade drive. I set it up on my basement TV, hooked to router, and can watch on any pc or phone in my house, or on the go. The CMS software that comes with it works on Windows, and you can find alternatives to CMS for free on Linux and paid on OSX. At least with the CMS software, you can record via the PC and not need a hard drive in the DVR, but I think it's better to use the DVR.
At this time I cannot attest to the night vision, because the cameras have only made it to the brooders in my basement at this time.

As far as the night filter getting stuck, a quick smack into my hand has fixed that the two times it has happened. No big deal.
I wish that had worked for me- believe me, I tried (after checking support groups). However, I stand by the Arlo as a good cam, as I have two friends with the Arlo cams who love them. Yes they are a bit pricier, but the ease of set up and use is very good. And if you fork out for the Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2, this won't be an issue. Great cameras.

Back
Top Bottom