Coop Cam

It was very helpful. I talked to my boyfriend and we are going to work on getting a computer with internet before the camera. Maybe for my Birthday in a month. I cant wait to watch my little girls playing and just bdoing what chickens do! Thank you!

Quote:
You are welcome. Believe me you will enjoy it and a camera(s) can save you time as well. Knowing what the chicks are doing, their food/water levels, etc is useful. The best. --jim

I need some help-advice. I set up my third camera which I think is at the end of my wireless range. It worked well in the house but once I mounted it out in the pen it doesn't get a signal consistenly. So I have been researching the wireless range extenders and wireless repeaters. I put a bigger antenna on the camera and still no go. That would have been the cheepest. So I have been looking at the Cantenna extender35ish bucks???? I guy today wanted me to get a new router. He maybe right but is a salesman. So any info would be helpful. I would preferr not to change my router if possible it was a big learning curve for me to get all up and running. But if that is what I need to do I will. My cameras are the Hootoo and a identical knock off of the Foscum indoor pan/tilt you all have been talking about. I too have them under a shelter so I am taking a chance and putting them outside. The origninal two have worked great. Well I wait anxiously for your responces.

I had the same problem, even though I have the latest Netgear router. So I bought a range extender http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Universal-WN3000RP-Wi-Fi-Extender/dp/B004YAYM06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327183080&sr=8-1.
ir
It works really well, even though my coop is 400ft from the house. Btw... Do you know which router you have? The latest series N have a good range already. In my case, I have a Netgear N900, but it still could not cover the distance.
Where did you add the range extender? Our coop is not only about 500 ft from the house but there's a building in between the house and the coop.

Okay did some research and this extender seems to be what I need. Found some at Staples and Best Buy. I have read reviews and there has been some issues but as computers go it can be settings and how you are using it. So I am going to give it a try. If it doesn't help I will just return it. Once I set it up I am going to try and plug it in in the shed adjacent to all three cameras and see what happens. Will keep you posted. Do tell me as previous asked where you mounted yours in regards to the router and coop/cameras.

I love the idea of a coop cam! I was going to post a question asking if anybody knew of any websites that had coop cams because I am new to the chicken world and love seeing all he different breeds!. I think I need a mental evaluations, lol...
he.gif

So, does anyone know of any websites that have coop cams, lol....

Hey BirdCollector,

Rule of thumb is to place the extender close to the cameras. So, if you are getting any signal at all at the coop, try placing it there. If not, place it at line of sight between your house and the coop. Maybe on the building in between? I was able to place mine inside the coop.

3GChicks,

Check out Jim's (jalexartis) site, he has a pretty cool setup! The link is in his posts. After seeing his, I knew I had to have cams!

Back
Top Bottom