Coop cleaning

I have several inches of sand on the floor of my coop and I clean it with a litter-box scooper every week or two. It's fast and easy and leaves the coop odor free and clean for my girls. I only use pine shavings in the nesting boxes, and those get cleaned out and refreshed whenever needed. They all like the same nesting box, so it's a pretty easy job. Bok Bok

Good Morning! I live in Southern California and my backyard gets like the Mojave Desert temperature-wise. I keep several bottles of water in my freezer and drop them into my waterer every morning. Keeps the water very cool for my hens. If when I check the water later in the afternoon and the ice bottles have melted, I just swap them out for two more frozen and put the melted ones back in the freezer for the next day. Chickens are very happy and usually end up hanging out around the "water cooler".

Wyandottes are bossy, they might bully the orps - just a heads up for that combination.

We have changed our mind again, We are either going to

Do bresse chicken only (keep some and eat the rest)

OR

Do a couple silkies and all ducks. I have kinda found myself liking ducks alot more. My wife really loves silkies, so I promised her that

That is about how often I clean our coop. I have aluminum pans with sweet pdz powder in them and sift thru for the poo. I have straw (right now) for the bedding and pine shavings in their nesting boxes. I just changed to that and they seem to like it much better. :)
What is pdz? Do you buy your pine shavings or mulch it yourself?

What is pdz? Do you buy your pine shavings or mulch it yourself?
PDZ is a horse stall freshener. Absorbs ammonia. I use the granulated instead of powder about an inch thick on poop board.i use a cat litter scoop to clean daily.

Equine Fresh is pine sawdust made into a soup, then extruded into pellets, then super dried. There is no dust, and you should Not follow the directions on the package bc they tell you mist them down before using. This forces you to use them up prematurely and buy more. I have used them for my horses for about 4 years now and the way that they soak up urine twice and keep down the ammonia is amazing. One horse produces a great deal of urine. They break down first and it looks like grape nuts that have gotten wet, but it is still a powder. The 2nd time they soak up urine and stay wet. This is what happens when used in a horse's stall.
For the birds it takes a lot longer than 2 days for them to break down. They keep down the ammonia in the bedding on the bottom of the coop. Last time I cleaned the bottom on my coop I discovered that they were still usable and smelled great. The other bedding was soiled on top of them.
There is nothing that smells as bad as a dirty chicken building, no matter what the size, and the animals housed in it have to breathe that in. Newbies think that you must clean them up all of the time, but that isn't really necessary, as long as they are cleaned up on a regular basis.
This product goes by several names, but they all come in a 40 pound bag and it sells for $5.00-$7.00/package. I use one package for my coop every time I rebed.

Last edited:
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a poop board? I'm new to raising chickens and I have 11 hens in a 6 foot by 10 foot chained link kennel. They have nesting boxes and roosting branches. I'm I doing it right? Lol

Back
Top Bottom