Coop Condensation

nathansl2003

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2018
Central Vermont
Hi all,

I currently have an OverEZ Medium Chicken Coop, I have noticed a lot of condensation on the coop ceiling. It has a window and is vented on either side at the top with a small circular vent but maybe this is not enough? Today I was in the coop checking out my automatic door (it stopped working) and installing a new light fixture, it snowed overnight so I cleaned off the roof of snow.

Do I need to add more venting? Do I need to get some low flow fans to put at the vents to move air? Does anybody own an OverEZ coop that can offer advice? I live in Vermont!

Thanks!

How many birds are housed in it? Are you watering in the coop? Condensation does mean ventilation change is in order....especially in your location as frostbite is a very real concern with trapped moisture. Are you hearing the coop at all?
What are the sizes of the vents? The coop is a little over 4x4 (not sure if they are including the externally hung nests in that) and certainly not sufficient for 10 birds as quoted on their information, especially on that climate.

RoosterML, thanks for the advice. Thanks everybody for input! I think I will take the following actions:

1. Hardware cloth the window so it can be opened for venting
  2. Install addition vents per RosterML's suggestion
  3. Move the coop outside the run, per Grey Mare's suggestion sooner than anticipated and attach the pop door side of the coop to the run
  4. Build a covered area after coop is out for food/water to give more space to the chickens inside the coop
I think that about does it. Any other suggestions I am open!

Thanks all!

I will take some pictures and post them if you need them. I have 7 chickens right now. Ol Grey Mare that is the correct coop from OverEZ. The coop is not currently heated, it is wired for an light fixture and I am running a automatic door. The light fixture is for a 40/60 watt bulb to provide light in the winter hours, and if needed a little heat, I do not plan to use the light for heating unless some very drastic low temperatures. The waterer and food is in the coop.

EDIT: I do not want the food or water in the coop it takes up room that my chickens could use, so if anybody has any ideas on some better options so the food stays dry, I am open.

I have the large overEZ coop. There is not enough ventilation. I covered my windows with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I leave one window open all the time, the minimum amount. 20181104_151017.jpg . I also put the coop on 8 inch cement blocks so chickens can go under the coop. 20181201_095625.jpg . The coop is inside a 10' x 10" covered dog kennel. 20181027_064723.jpg
I keep feed and water inside. 20181021_091815.jpg Never had condensation on ceiling. But if yours had snow on the roof you will have condensation on ceiling if outside temps and humidity rise.
I have 7 pullets in mine. If you could get 6 cement blocks and level them next to the coop legs and a couple of strong bars wider than the coop and 4 strong guys, you could raise the coop without having to disassemble. Wishing you the best. GC

You've gotten excellent advice....and are taking it in well.
Dontcha wish a week long thaw would come around to facilitate the changes?
Best of cLuck to yas!

You can add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-3_10-53-22.png

I will take some pictures and post them if you need them. I have 7 chickens right now. Ol Grey Mare that is the correct coop from OverEZ. The coop is not currently heated, it is wired for an light fixture and I am running a automatic door. The light fixture is for a 40/60 watt bulb to provide light in the winter hours, and if needed a little heat, I do not plan to use the light for heating unless some very drastic low temperatures. The waterer and food is in the coop.

EDIT: I do not want the food or water in the coop it takes up room that my chickens could use, so if anybody has any ideas on some better options so the food stays dry, I am open.

7 chickens is a bit much for that size coop with that little ventilation, especially with the waterer inside the coop. I personally would not put more than 5 birds, depending on breed, in that coop but only with lot of additional ventilation. The waterer inside the coop is adding to the moisture build up which will cause frost bite this winter in VT.
Do you leave the window open and can you open the top half instead of the bottom?
It's a bit of a conundrum as your eaves are pretty much non-existent. Is the area under the front eave (on the nest box wall) fully open with hardware cloth to block the entrance of predators?
Do you have a run that the chickens go in during the day or are they free-ranged?

Back
Top Bottom