Coop delivery

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cmoore333, Mar 12, 2013.

1. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    My husband bought me a new bigger coop,yaaaa. Since I've totally went over board with buying new baby's... Ok the coop was to be delivered tommorow, then today the delivery company called and told us they don't deliver to residential homes, only business.. What??? My question is why would the company we order from use a delivery company that won't deliver to residents...(not mentioning the company as we are getting ahold of them first, to see what they say about the company they chose to use for delivery of thier coops) has anyone else run into this when ordering coops??? We even told the delivery company that before our home was just residential it was a garden and nursuary(it closed ten years before we bought the land, out buildings and the homestead) so our driveway could accommodate any big truck, we already had a semi deliver a pole building, and the guy delivery guy was impressed with our parking lot...(lol)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I can imagine how disappointing this was to hear that they don't deliver to your home. We have the same trouble with nearly everything anymore. We have a PO address and no physical address. And for some reason, more and more, businesses are becoming suspicious of PO addresses. Like we are trying to pull a fast one on people! So much of the things we order have to be shipped to a business address. Pain in the rumple stiltskin!

I hope you get it sorted out soon. I know how frustrating these things can be. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Hmmm.. That is a shame. It sounds like they want to avoid any liability. Sometimes semis are a tight fit in many residential drives and they can also crush a septic pipe in the yard or under the drive. Having said that, we live out in the country and we have had many semi deliverys. We even had a 10'x16' fully assembled log cabin delivered on a large flat bed semi and they drove it across our field to place it by the pond. I would talk to them again and offer to sign a libility waiver or even talk to the owner. I suppose the delivery should have been understood and outlined during the sale.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    We ran into this when our replacement hot tub cover was delivered. It was sent by FedEx freight and once we were able to talk to the driver, he told us he would deliver to the curb. So, we met him at the street and transferred the large box to our tractor bucket. It was fairly light but large and unwieldy. Same as you've encountered, the seller obviously knew about the freight limitations but failed to disclose terms of delivery. I'd involve them since they've surely run into this before.

5. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    We found a friend who will let us have it delivered to thier business, yaaa... But delivery got moved till next week:( not sure why, but I'm to the point I don't care when as long as I get it soon...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by