Coop door facing directly into Winterly winds, how to bock wind while leaving door open

gash

Hatching
Nov 6, 2015
Here's my dilemma, the place we're at is temporary for two years. Our new place will have a much better design until then I've got to work with what I have. We have chickens, rabbits and goats in an old barn here on the property. We put the chickens on the north side because the wall already had a chunk missing and it would be a great place for the chicken coop door. During the summer winds come from the south, winter the winds come from the north/northwest. The door seals shut and blocks the wind, I'm trying to figure out how to leave the door open and having something in place to block the wind from ripping through the coop/barn during the winter. I've thought about doing something like what folks do for walk-in fridge/freezers and have some heavy plastic strips hanging down but am afraid that chickens might not go through it then. Moving the door or letting them out any other way is not an option unfortunately. It's either solve this problem or they stay in the coop all winter :(

Thank you for you help!

Last edited:
Kind of a L shape.. that way you can leave it open
That's the same conclusion I came to this afternoon while working out in the yard. Didn't want to do that but seems that's the only choice. I will have to close the coop at night but I can make it work with a "wind block wall".

thank you!

You could also do a 'doggy door'. Use some heavy cloth to make a flap covering the pop hole. If the chickens are having trouble pushing through it, staple the sides of the flap to the side of the door and cut it in half, sort of like a double door- only a double flap?

I built a 'glass foyer' out of some old windows to block prevailing wind from pop door, but I have a sliding pop door operated from inside coop.

You could do like a freezer/cooler door, strips of heavy clear plastic.
Put them up a couple at a time starting from the outside of the opening and they get used to pushing thru them.

That's the same conclusion I came to this afternoon while working out in the yard. Didn't want to do that but seems that's the only choice. I will have to close the coop at night but I can make it work with a "wind block wall".

thank you!
I know this is a very old post but I find myself in this exact dilemma. I’m here reading this and have this concept in my head but can’t quite picture it. Would you be able to provide a picture of your setup if you used have this “L”??

What about a diagonal leaned piece of wood over the wall, touching at the top but open/wide at the bottom? Would block wind from the front but chickens could go out either side behind it.

What about a diagonal leaned piece of wood over the wall, touching at the top but open/wide at the bottom? Would block wind from the front but chickens could go out either side behind it.
Oh!!I didn’t think of that. I’d have to see how much clearance I have. I can’t recall the platform length we have. I think I’ll go out now and try this one. Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom