Coop fire due to heat lamp

Safety chain in addition to the mounting method or a ground fault outlet may have prevented this fire.
Not the first time nor will it be the last.
No doubt...Jeepers..:th...Breathing our air is a risk too. Riding your horse could kill you..Driving a new vehicle and you could total it ten minutes after driving off the lot..:idunno

I live in north central Alberta, Canada and I have heat lamps but definitely have them probably and securely attached in my Coops. Absolutely no way mine will cause a fire. We get extremely cold here at times and I have Silkies that would definitely die in the cold. I also have Call Ducks that appreciate the lamp when the weather gets biter cold.
2 days ago it was -26C with the windchill...
Ugh... I was in the interior of BC and it dropped to -20 for three days during my second winter there... I did the sane thing and moved back to the coast as soon as I could! One of my life goals as a teenager was move to Florida... don’t heat your coop-just move somewhere with livable temperatures! ;)

Just read that this happened in Helena MT a day or two ago. A heat lamp in a chicken coop caused the coop to catch fire. Chickens and rabbits were killed. Then the wind spread the fire to a storage building filled with hay. Hay is a total loss. From there the fire went to another building where vehicles and other items were stored. Many thousands of dollars in damage because someone wanted their chickens to be warm. It hasn't even been that terribly cold around here.
Thanks for posting that. Every time someone suggests I use a heat lamp it give me shivers for this exact reason.

If you are not capable of or knowing how to secure a heat lamp in a chicken coop, please, don't use a heat lamp in a chicken coop.

If you are not capable of or knowing how to secure a heat lamp in a chicken coop, please, don't use a heat lamp in a chicken coop.

Quite often the problem is some people just don't know, what they don't understand ... the lamp has a plug, and a clamp ... how hard can it be they say?

It's much more than just securing it ... underrated wires ... too long of too small of wires ... just the dust accumulated on the bulb ...

And either they don't understand electricity, clamps, or chickens ... or all three!

Back
Top Bottom