Coop fire due to heat lamp

Ugh... I was in the interior of BC and it dropped to -20 for three days during my second winter there... I did the sane thing and moved back to the coast as soon as I could! One of my life goals as a teenager was move to Florida... don’t heat your coop-just move somewhere with livable temperatures! ;)
Gee, just think, if you had moved to Florida as a teenager, you would never have had to worry about freezing temps again ... but you could have lost your flock a couple of times over to hurricanes, floods and heat stroke. Zheesh! We all have our weather systems too bear, don't we? Anymore, I just move for the winter ... indoors! :he

edit for typo ... oops

Last edited:
Gee, just think, if you had moved to Florida as a teeneager, you would never have had to worry about freezing temps again ... but you could have lost your flock a couple of times over to hurricanes, floods and heat stroke. Zheesh! We all have our weather systems too bear, don't we? Anymore, I just move for the winter ... indoors! :he

True, but I’m happy here on the islands of southern B.C. now. As a kid I had idealized Florida’s heat and humidity, I also loved the rainforest area of the zoo/aquarium with all the reptiles, sloths, misters and warmth! My parents hated taking me because mostly I just wanted to hang out in there the whole time... lol. I grew up, and though I still love the climate, I now realize the problems as well.

I still “don’t do” freezing temps, but I understand and sympathize with everyone who’s suffering through them right now. I’m mostly against coop heating, but with the sorts of extremes that are hitting right now, just whatever you do to protect your flocks be safe about it!

Aside: I’m boondocking in an RV right now and we’re using a Catalytic Propane heater, because our furnace is broken, haven’t turned it off in days... not recommended or ideal, but we’re being careful (especially after my Husband wasn’t and Melted our suitcase 8” in front of it!) stay safe!

True, but I’m happy here on the islands of southern B.C. now. As a kid I had idealized Florida’s heat and humidity, I also loved the rainforest area of the zoo/aquarium with all the reptiles, sloths, misters and warmth! My parents hated taking me because mostly I just wanted to hang out in there the whole time... lol. I grew up, and though I still love the climate, I now realize the problems as well.

I still “don’t do” freezing temps, but I understand and sympathize with everyone who’s suffering through them right now. I’m mostly against coop heating, but with the sorts of extremes that are hitting right now, just whatever you do to protect your flocks be safe about it!

Aside: I’m boondocking in an RV right now and we’re using a Catalytic Propane heater, because our furnace is broken, haven’t turned it off in days... not recommended or ideal, but we’re being careful (especially after my Husband wasn’t and Melted our suitcase 8” in front of it!) stay safe!
ACK! Stay warm ... and safe ... and get a new suitcase! :(

I remember a few years back China produced red coated heat bulbs gave off toxic fumes when used, killing a few flocks.

Metal waterer is in the run, setting on a temperature controlled heater. If the heater malfunctions there is nothing in close proximity to catch on fire and the GFI should trip.

Coop wiring is in conduit and the lights (I don't use them) are enclosed in dust proof enclosures. No supplemental heat. Again protected by a GFI.

Coop is far enough away from my shop that if the coop did manage to catch on fire it will not take out the shop too.

Last edited:
^^^ that’s what I would consider “safe as possible” if you need to do heat/electrical/lighting... make sure it’s appropriate for the environment!

I remember a few years back China produced red coated heat bulbs gave off toxic fumes when used, killing a few flocks.

Metal waterer is in the run, setting on a temperature controlled heater. If the heater malfunctions there is nothing in close proximity to catch on fire and the GFI should trip.

Coop wiring is in conduit and the lights (I don't use them) are enclosed in dust proof enclosures. No supplemental heat. Again protected by a GFI.

Coop is far enough away from my shop that if the coop did manage to catch on fire it will not take out the shop too.
Smart man! And I LOVE the Cowpoke quote!

Back
Top Bottom