Coop flooded, help! Chicken ark?

Namaste Mama

Songster
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
AZ
My coop is sitting in a 5 inch lake right now! Because of all this rain my entire backyard flooded and I just had to rescue my poor chickens as they have no ark. Could anyone suggest the best way to take care of my babies? They are living in my jaccuzi tub tonight, but I can't have them stay inside all day!

Is it still raining?
can they spend the nights in the jaccuzi and the days in a dog pen?
Do you know anyone who has an xpen? I have one that is 4 ft sq and has a wire lid.

it's hard to know your options not knowing if you have a garage, covered patio, etc.
it's pretty easy to make a temporary 'yard' for them for the days with deer posts and chicken wire. you might want to cover it as well
then just scoop them up and put them back in the jaccuzi at night so they are safe from predators

Oh, I've used 2 wardrobe boxes taped together (from uhaul) on their sides with pine shavings in the bottom and wire over the top inside as a brooder box. I've had chickens in there for up to full size while they were waiting for their 'home' to be ready.

wild weather, good luck

Last edited:
Its still raining with more expected. The back yard, back patio, everything is flooded. I have a garage and a cog crate, I suppose they could live in there until it drys out, though theres not a lot of room, the crate is about 2 feet by 3 feet, would that be enough for 10 8 week pullets? I don't know what an xpen is? I'm in the city, so I have a smaller yard that is mostly occupied by a large overflowing pool. :lol:LOL!
roll.png

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm so frazzled after my rescue efforts. I'm just dripping wet and my wire on my coop was damaged during the rescue because I was in a hurry.
tongue.png
I have things floating in my yard! They said on the news this is the most rainfall they have ever had in recorded history!

I feel your pain. We're under seige right now. My neighbors 80' eucalyptus just crashed into my yard. The floor of my coop is flooded (1-2" standing water). Luckily, they have the roost/box which is weatherproof and dry - and big enough for the three of them to wait out the storm. Hopefully we only have another day of this!

Once you find a suitable location:

Garage / Shed / Bathroom / Guest Room / Neighbors Yard (not flooded) etc

You could build "temporary" / emergency housing out of cardboard or plywood and use cheap homedepot tarps if there is any exposure to elements or if you need to keep the floor clean (i.e. inside your house).

BEST OF LUCK!!!

Yup see my problem is the roof leaked, so they couldn't go up to the top of it and then the floor flooded so they were huddled on a little board that was about to float away when I go them. Poor babies! I checked them 3 hours ago and there were fine too, I just had a feeling I should check on them and I am glad I did!\\

I think were still going to get that storm you have over here too! We have a tornado warning right now!

5" isnt to bad

a standard cinder block is 8"

if you can find a floor jack or proper use of a lever and fulcrum you can get the coupe back up out of the water.

that is if its like most coupes.... and not like a building on a slab.

Last edited:
Today was the worst of it, so probably that will hit you tomorrow. More rain and heavy (55mph) wind.

You could use a can of "Great Stuff" expanding foam and seal any holes/cracks/leaks with it. It is truly great stuff. That will seal out the bad weather. It works pretty much instantly.

The cinder blocks would maybe then work to create an elevated/dry foundation for a new temporary plywood floor?

SoCal was under tornado watch - we actually had a handful of water spouts!

Hope you get through it safe and sound...

Back
Top Bottom