coop floor covering

del gallinero

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Been thinking how to waterproof the floor of my up-coming wooden coop. Not long ago I saw a posting that
some had put linoleum down. Sounds like a plan. Have those who have done that used the glue on squares or
laid down linoleum in sheets? Are the glue fumes over time a problem do you think when the chickens are "cooped up"?
Would it be better to nail it down? Any experience to share? I have left-over tile from a remodeling job, but I think it
might hold the cold too much in winter, so I don't think I'll use that. Looking for alternatives.
smile.png
Thanks.

I havent done it but im sure youll want to use the sheets. It will be hard to clean the squares. Your going to want to let it air out for a few days before you add the chickens.

we used 1 remanet sheet stretched & stapled into place, we didn't want to put glue in there. It's been easy to clean. Run it up the wall framing that way you can sweep it out a problem.

Last edited:
Unless you have an absolute flat and even floor I would not try the squares. I bought a piece of a roll from HD. The fumes are not a problem but I would suggest getting enough of the adhesive without a doubt. I ran to close and have a spot that for a professional job probably is not enough. But with the sand on top I feel it's set pretty good.

Thanks for the responses. Glad others have considered the glue issue too. I like the idea of running it up the sides, though
I wouldn't have thought you could bend it without it cracking. From these responses, it sounds like nailing down sheet linoleum
is the better way to go in the long run. Thanks
smile.png

We didn't glue ours down at all. This is the cheapest we could find. People here usually put new linoleum down(in their houses) yearly at Christmas so it's not too pricey.

380330_10150372432952595_689087594_8787615_83890154_n.jpg

What we did do was run the lino a foot up the sides of the walls.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I have linoleum in both of my coops. I use wood shavings on the floor and like it very much.
I glued it in the large coop and nailed it in the small one. My large coop was already built (we converted a shed) and the small coop we made from scratch. VERY easy to clean and holding up well.

Back
Top Bottom