Coop floor

Yes deep bedding... i thought it was the same
Nope. It's only important to differentiate as you'd set up differently for one over the other.

Most coops use deep bedding or something similar to that. So dry is key.

Also I can't blame you for wanting to elevate the coop just slightly (but you will need to consider how to exclude pests and chicks from getting underneath) as it helps keep the wood off of wet ground. Thankfully my coop is elevated about 6" because if it weren't, all this water would've gone right into the coop. As it was, the chickens stayed 100% dry, locked inside:

flooding7.jpg

I laid down some cheap Linoleum. It’s water proof, so it keeps the joists and frame extra protected. I used just the standard roll from home depot. $20
I also use the pine flakes on top. Deep litter method. So once every 4-6 months I can easily scrape it out or quick shop brush it god forbid there’s enough mess under the wood shavings that need serious sanitation. That’s never happened yet but that was my thought behind it. I also lipped the flooring up the sides two inches to create a “bowl” so to speak. I agree with the others, if it’s a raised coup this is an idea. If it’s on the ground yeah, F it.

I laid down some cheap Linoleum. It’s water proof, so it keeps the joists and frame extra protected. I used just the standard roll from home depot. $20
I also use the pine flakes on top. Deep litter method. So once every 4-6 months I can easily scrape it out or quick shop brush it god forbid there’s enough mess under the wood shavings that need serious sanitation. That’s never happened yet but that was my thought behind it. I also lipped the flooring up the sides two inches to create a “bowl” so to speak. I agree with the others, if it’s a raised coup this is an idea. If it’s on the ground yeah, F it.
BE58AA73-D82C-4725-8FE9-B72C2FA1635E.jpeg

Nope. It's only important to differentiate as you'd set up differently for one over the other.

Most coops use deep bedding or something similar to that. So dry is key.

Also I can't blame you for wanting to elevate the coop just slightly (but you will need to consider how to exclude pests and chicks from getting underneath) as it helps keep the wood off of wet ground. Thankfully my coop is elevated about 6" because if it weren't, all this water would've gone right into the coop. As it was, the chickens stayed 100% dry, locked inside:

View attachment 2827460
how did you elevate your coop?

Even at night you keep the water in the run?
Chickens roost at night. They don't eat or drink.
My run is as predator proof as the coop so I never close the pop door. When the birds come off the roost in the morning, they head straight out to the run where the food and water are and wait for me there to let them out.

My Little Monitor Coop has a plywood floor. I didn't put anything protective on it.

Since my management method and the generous ventilation keeps it absolutely dry there's no need. Some people use porch and floor paint. Some use Blackjack 57. Some use inexpensive sheet vinyl.

Yes deep bedding... i thought it was the same

From my article on Deep Bedding:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.​
Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.​

One of the most common management systems among BYC members is to use Deep Bedding inside the coop and Deep Litter in the run. :)

Our coop is going to be 4 inches off the ground (2x4) so we want to put a floor in because it’s easier for us. We plan on doing a deep litter method but we still need a floor

Why this height?

It provides very little in the way of ventilation or termite protection (common reasons for elevating a building off the ground), and isn't tall enough for the chickens to use the space and provides a near-ideal habitat for rodent pests.

I would advise that you either:

A. Raise it on legs high enough for the chickens to go underneath and keep the area pest-free (noting that you will want to have some kind of access for yourself since there will come a time that you need to retrieve a bird or an egg),

B. Make a full, concrete block foundation to sit it on -- bearing in mind the necessary depth to account for frost heave and skip the floor, or

C. Trench in a hardware cloth skirt all the way around to keep rats, snakes, and young chicks from getting underneath.

My Little Monitor Coop has a plywood floor. I didn't put anything protective on it.

Since my management method and the generous ventilation keeps it absolutely dry there's no need. Some people use porch and floor paint. Some use Blackjack 57. Some use inexpensive sheet vinyl.

From my article on Deep Bedding:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.​
Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.​

One of the most common management systems among BYC members is to use Deep Bedding inside the coop and Deep Litter in the run. :)

Why this height?

It provides very little in the way of ventilation or termite protection (common reasons for elevating a building off the ground), and isn't tall enough for the chickens to use the space and provides a near-ideal habitat for rodent pests.

I would advise that you either:

A. Raise it on legs high enough for the chickens to go underneath and keep the area pest-free (noting that you will want to have some kind of access for yourself since there will come a time that you need to retrieve a bird or an egg),

B. Make a full, concrete block foundation to sit it on -- bearing in mind the necessary depth to account for frost heave and skip the floor, or

C. Trench in a hardware cloth skirt all the way around to keep rats, snakes, and young chicks from getting underneath.
We have a raised coop now and it’s was too difficult for us. We’re using a 2x4 for the frame so that’s why i said 4 inches.

We have a raised coop now and it’s was too difficult for us. We’re using a 2x4 for the frame so that’s why i said 4 inches.

Better to have it right down on the ground/fully sealed all the way around than to have that little gap between the ground the the floor open. It's nearly guaranteed that rodents and other pests will move into the housing you provide that way. :)

Back
Top Bottom