Coop floor

deezee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
We are building a coop, actually my husband is. He insist on sealing the floor. Can anybody tell me what is the safest and least expensive way to do this?

I used a remnant of roll vinyl over plank flooring. I use the deep-litter bedding method and want that stuff to slide across the floor when I clean it out. Plus, I didn't want the planks to rot.

I just painted the floor of my new bantam coop, laid it on thick with some Oops paint from Home Depot, an oil based semi gloss that dries to a hard finish. I think it should work well. I'm done with vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl in the coops. One gouge and it's all downhill from there.

Here is the floor in the new coop.

DSCN1394.jpg

I painted the floor of my 8x12 coop with a $5 gallon can of the Ooops paint from Lowes (semi-gloss).

Makes the floor slippery so the cleanup will be very easy.

smile.png

We got vinyl flooring on freecycle.org, then my husband used 1x1's to trim around the edges. I don't use deep litter - we have 4 hens that free range during the day and go in the coop on their roost at night, so each morning I pop outside and scrape up the poop with a dustpan and wipe it down with a damp cloth. Dump the poop in the compost nearby and I'm done. About once every week or so I wash the whole thing out with soap & water. Our coop is adjacent to our house so it has to stay really clean and odor-free but the vinyl floor has been really easy to keep clean. The run underneath (which they never use) has sand & shavings.

Back
Top Bottom