1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop flooring -- fiberglass laminate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debid, Jan 21, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Has anyone used the textured fiberglass laminate panels from Lowes? They come in a 4x8 size which seems ideal for a 4x8 coop. I'm guessing they're meant for bathroom shower stalls but thought perhaps glued to a sheet of plywood, it would make a durable and waterproof coop floor.

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I think it would work fine. We just have the plain linoleum floors but we used some kind of what you are describing for the walls. Makes cleaning the coop soooooooo easy!

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I simply painted the plywood and then put my bedding down over it (in my case, sand). I don't have a moisture problem in my coops since I use a poop tray under the roost that I clean out every day, and use a repitle litter scoop to pick out any stray droppings from the sand on the rest of the floor.

There's nothing wrong that I can think of in using a fiberglass panel other than the cost for something that you probably really don't need because you're going to be putting some kind of bedding over it anyway, right? I would think fiberglass would be far too slippery for chickens to walk on without bedding over it.

Actually, it might be more worth it to put a fiberglass panel on the wall in back of your roost in case of poo splatters so you could more easily wipe them off.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't see an advantage over a vinyl flooring remnant, which would be quite a bit cheaper I'd think. But it's certainly doable. As elmo mentioned, it would be pretty slick, so a few inches of bedding would be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by