Coop flooring

katie1990

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
We plan on having four hens in a 6x4 raised coop. They'll be running on a full acre of land so that's no issue. I was wondering about coop flooring. Which is best? what works the best for you? And what is the most cost effective? I'm new to chickens completely so I've seen everything from wood shavings to sand.

My husband was thinking a grated floor with hay overtop but I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient for their little feet.

It is really what is easiest for you to keep clean and cost. You could even paint the plywood floor with floor paint. Also easy to clean.

I have a raised coop with a plywood floor covered with pine wood chips. We clean it every quarter and put in new wood chips. We have it so we can just open the door and rake into the tractor bucket and put in compost pile to use in the garden.

Last edited:
Melissa, after l looked at the link I decided on pine chips too. We plan on starting a garden next month. My husband is going to make it to where it's easy for me to clean. I've got two kids two and under so I need it easy!

Back
Top Bottom