Coop for 10-12 chickens

vetemty3147

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
We recently brought home 12 chicks, and are getting two more on Tuesday. My husband is starting to work on their coop, since they will need it in a couple weeks. All the coops I find online are for smaller groups 6-8 chickens. Would you mind posting pics of your larger coops?

First,
welcome-byc.gif

Here is a link to 1000's of different coops.. Enjoy..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here

Last edited:
We recently brought home 12 chicks, and are getting two more on Tuesday. My husband is starting to work on their coop, since they will need it in a couple weeks. All the coops I find online are for smaller groups 6-8 chickens. Would you mind posting pics of your larger coops?
Welcome to BYC!

And those coops online that way will fit 6-8 birds......over estimated, most will only hold half that.

Do you have any idea of how big (in feet by feet) a coop you want?

Read up on space:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

And those coops online that way will fit 6-8 birds......over estimated, most will only hold half that.

Do you have any idea of how big (in feet by feet) a coop you want?

Read up on space:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

We aren't sure yet. Our flock this year is about 9 birds, but we will need around 20 birds in the coming years. I'm thinking an 8x8 shed could be converted to a coop.

The general formula I keep seeing, and one I am trying to adhere to is 4sq ft/bird for the coop, 10sq ft/bird in the run. I am new to this as well, and currently in the process of building my first coop. Using that stated math, for twenty cluckers you should have a 8'x10' coop, and a 10'x20' run. More space is always good......

An easy guide would be 4 square feet per chicken (you can fudge a bit if you're raising all bantams). So take the square footage of usable floor space and divide by four. That would be the recommended maximum number for a reasonably happy flock.

8' x 8' = 64Ft2

64 / 4 = 16 chickens

Most likely that coop would house 20 chickens . Things to consider are the size of your run as well. If your chickens are going to have access to the outdoors all the time. things will be fine. As you get deeper into chicken raising you will constantly learn more. One of the BAD aspects of chicken over crowding, is bad chicken behavior. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD SITUATION.. A few extra chickens over the suggested 4 square foot area allotment will be fine. Creative placement of roosts and laying nests also is a factor.. Another thing to consider in above coop is the LARGE interior volume, Considerably an advantage over a low height coop.
WISHING YOU BEST..
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Depends much on climate and flock demeanor....and, yes, run space and how much shelter it provides during inclement weather.
Interior coop height and how that space is built out is a good point too.

With my climate and run...I wouldn't put more than a dozen in an 8x8 coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom