1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop for 10-12 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vetemty3147, Mar 1, 2017.

1. vetemty3147

vetemty3147 Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    We recently brought home 12 chicks, and are getting two more on Tuesday. My husband is starting to work on their coop, since they will need it in a couple weeks. All the coops I find online are for smaller groups 6-8 chickens. Would you mind posting pics of your larger coops?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

And those coops online that way will fit 6-8 birds......over estimated, most will only hold half that.

Do you have any idea of how big (in feet by feet) a coop you want?

Read up on space:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. vetemty3147

vetemty3147 Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017

We aren't sure yet. Our flock this year is about 9 birds, but we will need around 20 birds in the coming years. I'm thinking an 8x8 shed could be converted to a coop.

5. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri

6. vetemty3147

vetemty3147 Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
  7. Knoble Chickens

Knoble Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2017
    Spanaway WA
    The general formula I keep seeing, and one I am trying to adhere to is 4sq ft/bird for the coop, 10sq ft/bird in the run. I am new to this as well, and currently in the process of building my first coop. Using that stated math, for twenty cluckers you should have a 8'x10' coop, and a 10'x20' run. More space is always good......

8. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

An easy guide would be 4 square feet per chicken (you can fudge a bit if you're raising all bantams). So take the square footage of usable floor space and divide by four. That would be the recommended maximum number for a reasonably happy flock.

8' x 8' = 64Ft2

64 / 4 = 16 chickens

9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Most likely that coop would house 20 chickens . Things to consider are the size of your run as well. If your chickens are going to have access to the outdoors all the time. things will be fine. As you get deeper into chicken raising you will constantly learn more. One of the BAD aspects of chicken over crowding, is bad chicken behavior. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD SITUATION.. A few extra chickens over the suggested 4 square foot area allotment will be fine. Creative placement of roosts and laying nests also is a factor.. Another thing to consider in above coop is the LARGE interior volume, Considerably an advantage over a low height coop.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by