Coop from kids play house

madsnbot

Songster
Jun 16, 2022
I was thinking about making a coop out of a kids playhouse. They’re pretty cheap, large and have a lot of windows(i’m from florida so my coop needs lots of air). I’m thinking all I would have to do is put in some nesting boxes, wire screens, and some perches. Is this a common thing to do and would it be a good idea? thx 🙂

Welcome to BYC. :frow from the Sandhills of NC to a fellow resident of the Steamy Southeast.

It's been done. Size is a limiting factor at 4 square feet per chicken. Also sturdiness over time.

I personally wouldn't buy one new for the purpose but wouldn't hesitate to convert one that was given to me or cost me only a few bucks at a yard sale.

Even more than here, in Florida you'd want to anchor it very firmly against tropical storm winds.

Welcome to BYC. :frow from the Sandhills of NC to a fellow resident of the Steamy Southeast.

It's been done. Size is a limiting factor at 4 square feet per chicken. Also sturdiness over time.

I personally wouldn't buy one new for the purpose but wouldn't hesitate to convert one that was given to me or cost me only a few bucks at a yard sale.

Even more than here, in Florida you'd want to anchor it very firmly against tropical storm winds.
Thanks for the input! I was thinking of getting one off facebook marketplace but my brother has one that he doesn’t use anymore, so we just might convert that. And you’re right about it being flimsy against tropical storms! Not too long ago we were having some pretty bad storms and it held up pretty well though. I think if we anchor it down right it would be fine. Any suggestions on how to keep it from deteriorating over time? Thank you so much 😄🙌

I was thinking about making a coop out of a kids playhouse. They’re pretty cheap, large and have a lot of windows(i’m from florida so my coop needs lots of air). I’m thinking all I would have to do is put in some nesting boxes, wire screens, and some perches. Is this a common thing to do and would it be a good idea? thx 🙂
cool i think that sounds good
i did that with the roof and it worked nicely good luck

I love the idea! Not all playhouses are created equal. If you post a photo(s) it will help us to advise you!
Hopefully when i start I could document it here. It should be a short process. If we decide to use my brothers playhouse i’ll upload a picture here. Thank you!! 😄

They have this one at our local Habitat for Humanity Restore
3B5B27FA-F237-454B-8ECD-786696E0FF9F.jpeg

Another idea is an old swing set. There are tons free on marketplace. Usually have a top and bottom "club house" structure you could rig to be side by side giving you more space....
That’s a pretty good idea! I’m definitely gonna look into that. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom