The crate itself was free on my local CL. It's about 4' square and 5' tall. I spent about $75 more on hardware, plywood, nails and screws, tin for the roof, and water seal. Right now there's hay in the bottom but I am going to replace that ASAP when I get to the feed store. Here it was before we started working on it: Aterwards: Tomorrow I'm going to hang the feeder. I don't have a pop door yet (next weekend) but right now I'm keeping them shut up in there so they realized it's 'home'. We also don't have nest boxes yet -- there's no hurry because they won't be laying until at least March I figure!! My son (almost 16) & I did it ourselves with a drill driver, a jigsaw, and a staple gun. I don't have all those pwer tools men have (!!) so I don't think we did too badly!!