Coop in progress. What to cover galvanized plumbers tape with?

Jomoma

Hatching
May 22, 2022
I have been working on my hoop coop. I am starting to get things ready to enclose their housing area in the back, cover with hardware cloth, then billboard tarp. I used galvanized plumbers tape to secure some of the lumber to the cattle panels, including their roost. The edges can be sharp and would like to cover them to protect the chickens, people and the tarp that will cover their housing in the back. Someone I know suggested covering with duct tape or carpeting or even some kind of blanket. I'm concerned that the chickens may attempt to eat those things and get ill. Any suggestions? Thanks

hoop coop 2.jpg hoop coop 3.jpg hoop coop 1.jpg

I have been working on my hoop coop. I am starting to get things ready to enclose their housing area in the back, cover with hardware cloth, then billboard tarp. I used galvanized plumbers tape to secure some of the lumber to the cattle panels, including their roost. The edges can be sharp and would like to cover them to protect the chickens, people and the tarp that will cover their housing in the back. Someone I know suggested covering with duct tape or carpeting or even some kind of blanket. I'm concerned that the chickens may attempt to eat those things and get ill. Any suggestions? Thanks

View attachment 3141394View attachment 3141395View attachment 3141397
Very nice. I'd file the sharp edges down. Maybe tap the corner into the wood with a punch so they are not sticking out..

I would use a bit of garden hose.

Use a screw, and or zip ties to hold the garden hose down.

If the garden hose isn't big enough to cover that perch end... I would use a bicycle innertube. You can probably stop at your local bike repair shop and get one for free with a hole on it.

With the inner tube, you might want a triple layer to make sure the points of the metal don't rub through.

I have an inner tube as the hinge seal on a chicken feeder. It has held up for 20 years. And yes, it is in a spot where chickens and ducks could get at it.

Thanks for the great tips! I have plenty of garden hose, so I will try that. I hammered the sharp edges down the best I can.

The piece of garden hose is a great idea! So many uses with an old hose - one of my favs is a replacement handle grip for a 5gal bucket that the plastic grip broke off (cut a 3-4” length, then “spiral cut” it and install on the metal handle)
I have used plumber tape in a few places around my chickens and my kids, like on fencing - haven’t had any issues just tucking the sharp edges from protruding out and leaving them alone for the most part. Same thing with twisted wire on my fencing, just bend the sharp tips so they don’t stick out.
EDIT: looking back at your pic of how you used it, I would suggest you consider folding the plumber tape over the wire and then screw down both ends with one screw; you can also fold under and "tuck" the two cut ends for an even cleaner install with no exposed edges, less screws and less wiggle room for the item being clamped down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom