Coop lighting in a coop without electricity

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
Looking for any suggestions that you may have to light the coop for 2 hours in the am and 2 hours in the pm to make up for the loss of daylight.

Only issue is that my coop does not have electricity. Looking for a way to either use a solar light-is there away to have a timer on a solar light? or maybe use a car battery with a timer? Any suggestions?

I have found that the folks on this site are... as we say in Boston, Wicked Smart!

thanks!

I think most folks use a heavy-duty extension cord, if there is an outlet close enough. Please think about adding artificial light...there's a reason they lay less during shorter daylight hour days - they need a break to recuperate and be ready for the next season's laying. JMO!!

Thanks-only want light due to having 5 hens that are about to lay-but i'm afraid they won't lay without having the proper light. 3 of the 5 are EE's and i'm dying to see what color they lay.

We built our coops and runs near the barn light
it does the job On at dusk and off at sunrise.
If we feel the hens need more light we open the window to let the Light shine in ..hummm sounds like a song title .
celebrate.gif

Or, use cheap solar path lights, installed so panel is on outside of coop (s side) and lightbulb part is on inside of coop. Will provide you with 2-6 hours (depends on brand of light, coop location, and your latitude) of extra light in the evenings, which in most locations is sufficient to create 14 hrs of daylight, and will give a natural gradual 'twilight' as the battery poops out for the night.

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

Solar lighting won't give off enough light to meet your needs. The need a lot of light. Like used in hatcheries. Even a 100w bulb really isn't enough to achieve this amount to increase egg production.
Lot's of articles on this on the Internet. Search Google.
wink.png

Quote:
Sorry, but this is quite incorrect.

Light needed to stimulate birds' brains for laying purposes is like 1- 2 foot-candles (at bird level), which is just about enough light for you to read the newspaper by, and can be achieved in an 8x8 coop by just a 60w bulb.

Perhaps you are thinking of the recommmended light levels for EMPLOYEES, which are considerably higher than what's required for the CHICKENS
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom