Coop maintenance concerning poop????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sweetchick91209, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sweetchick91209

sweetchick91209 Hatching

Jun 1, 2010
    We have limited space in our yard and I was just curious how everyone else handles the disposal of their chicken poo, can anyone give me any ideas please? [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington,

Rain washes it away, or it dries up and gets sucked up in the lawnmower, then into the compost bin.

Coop Poop some goes in the compost bin, some in the garbage-depending what it is stuck to.

Imp

3. my3chickens

my3chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    When mine are out of the coop/run they free range in a fairly small area (I have 3 dogs who would love to eat their poop or the chicks!) so I just use a kitty litter scoop and pick up the poop with that.

4. sweetchick91209

sweetchick91209 Hatching

Jun 1, 2010
    So do you just throw it in the trash or is there a specific location you take it? Do you ever clean out the inside of the chicken house and if so what do you do with that poop?

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG] What your suposed to pick it up?? [​IMG] I just try not to step on it. [​IMG]

6. Miss Red

Miss Red Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I put mine in 5-10 gallon buckets, about 1/8 the way up, fill them with water and let them sit for a few weeks. I then sell those buckets to the local farmers as fertalizers. Some buy straight poo to do it themselves.

7. One reason I got chickens is for the poo! [​IMG] Every bit of it will be used in compost pile to help heat it up or directly under my fruit and shade trees.

Can't even begin to imagine putting it in the trash. [​IMG]

8. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:[​IMG] Hey, why didn't I think of that! GR8T idea!! I'm gonna do that instead of osmocote! Thanks for the hint!

Jen

9. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    BTW, I put mine on the compost pile [​IMG]

Jen

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Be sure to let it cook in a compost pile long enough, or... steep in the tea er... bucket long enough. and even then don't put it directly onto plants. Chicken poo is very high in nitrogen and will burn most plants if not aged properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by