Coop math + potential shed conversion

jewelg

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, Chicken People! :)

So, I'm either doing this wrong, or every single pre-made coop you can buy wants you to pen your chickens in like large sardines in a tiny can. Help! And thank you, all, for contributing and building such an incredible resource. FYI, we live in Los Angeles, California and are planning to have (start with...) 6 chickens. We're first-timers, but have wanted them for awhile.

In reading through BYC, it's ideal to have a 3-4 sq ft/bird in your coop, and 8-10 sq ft per bird in your run. No pre-made coop I'm looking at is providing enough space for 6 birds, even though they say their coops are good for up to 10 birds. By my math, for 6 chickens, we would need 24 sqft in the coop, and 60 sqft in the run, if we're on the more generous side of the estimate. Even the Omlet Eglo Cube, which my partner is hot on (because it's ready made with possible re-sale value if we eventually build our own), says it can house 8 medium chickens, but the dimensions are 3.1 ft x 3.3 ft, which only gets you 10.25 sq ft, and that's rounded up! No coop I'm finding on-line that's advertised for 6 chickens is actually giving those 6 chickens the space that this community recommends.

Am I doing the math wrong, or are the chicken coop manufacturers all trying to pull one over on us?

This brings me to my idea for a shed conversion. I think the Eglo Cube is pretty limiting, but there are a number of used sheds in our area for sale that are cheaper than the Omlet by far. We'd still need to do a bunch of building, but we could build in the set up we want. My partner is worried about time, and I'm worried about money, so we are trying to balance some different priorities.

I feel like we could a) get a small shed, and build a run onto it, or b) get a larger shed and use it as the run by replacing 2 walls with framing and hardware cloth, and building coop structures into it (nesting boxes, roosts, etc). I attached pics of both of those options - the one with the smaller shed that has an attached run is from GreenEggers here on BYC!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a metal vs a plastic shed (working with the materials, if we'd need specialty tools, environmental concerns. etc), or any other things to think about as we (or... I...) look into converting one? We live in Los Angeles, so are going to be building in venting, venting, venting, and looking for shade solutions as we go... We're very handy, but the more experienced one of us is super short on time right now... Does anyone who's done this kind of conversion and build have any time and budget estimates for it?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.24.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.24.12 PM.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.36.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.36.49 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.38.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.38.16 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.42.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.42.05 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
I've done a shed to coop conversion.
Before:
front demo.jpg

After:
cover image.jpg

With attached run:
finished coop and run.jpg

How much you put into it is up to your budget.
I would go with a wood shed as it is so much easier to convert and make modifications with wood vs. plastic or metal.
I reframed for recycled windows and doors. You need to add, as you already wrote, lots of ventilation. You may very well just remove the sheathing off the sheltered side and just cover it with hardware cloth. Add poop boards with a roost, 2 nest boxes and a pop door and the coop is ready.
How big you go with the run is again up to your budget. I went big because I don't plan on doing this again.
My shed was 8x16. The coop portion is 8x12 with a 8x4 room for storage, the nest box and brooder/maternity ward.
The run is 28x12 with an 8x4 jog in the back.
I put about $2500 into it but I redid the roof, did a solid roof on the run, ran electric to the cooop and put the run on concrete piers.

Tonya, thanks so much for this response. How many chickens do you have? I love your note on how you're using the 8X4 section as a multi-use space. Would you mind sharing photos of the inside of your coop? I feel like I have a handle on what we would do with the exterior of the structure (venting, hardware cloth wall(s), chicken door and human door), but less of a clear idea on how we'd lay out the interior.

I agree that the idea of converting a shed vs the pre-made small stuff is a great idea. If you search this site for shed conversions you’ll see so many great threads. Including the one by the poster above. I remember her thread about building that coop. It’s SO pretty and I’m kinda in love with her rooster.

let us see pictures once you decide on a plan of action!? :)

Tonya, thanks so much for this response. How many chickens do you have? I love your note on how you're using the 8X4 section as a multi-use space. Would you mind sharing photos of the inside of your coop? I feel like I have a handle on what we would do with the exterior of the structure (venting, hardware cloth wall(s), chicken door and human door), but less of a clear idea on how we'd lay out the interior.
You can click on the My Coop link in my avatar to read the entire build article. Everything is in there.
The cameras don't have towards the nest boxes and brooder.
nest box curtains.jpg

This is a snapshot from the coop cam after the poop board extension and roost modifications went in.
1594077313988.png

You can click on the My Coop link in my avatar to read the entire build article. Everything is in there.
The cameras don't have towards the nest boxes and brooder.
View attachment 2230304
This is a snapshot from the coop cam after the poop board extension and roost modifications went in.
View attachment 2230325
Oooh, awesome! Thank you! This is super helpful. It looks like you did a pop out behind your nesting boxes in order to collect eggs from the non-coop section of the shed. Is that right? I was trying to work my brain around how we'd add the pop out to a metal or plastic shed, but building it into the interior of the shed (which ends up being the exterior wall of the coop) makes good sense.

I agree that the idea of converting a shed vs the pre-made small stuff is a great idea. If you search this site for shed conversions you’ll see so many great threads. Including the one by the poster above. I remember her thread about building that coop. It’s SO pretty and I’m kinda in love with her rooster.

let us see pictures once you decide on a plan of action!? :)
Thanks, Mirth! I've started watching a bunch of shed threads so I can go back and read them all the way through. I definitely like the idea of being able to build in what we want initially. I think my partner is less willing/able to jump in with both work being busy and with some trepidation around first-time chickening. :) Having a plan will make him feel better, and BYC is full of such great resources.

Am I doing the math wrong, or are the chicken coop manufacturers all trying to pull one over on us?

This brings me to my idea for a shed conversion. I think the Eglo Cube is pretty limiting, but there are a number of used sheds in our area for sale that are cheaper than the Omlet by far.

Simple, they're using bare bones legal minimum numbers to calculate how many chickens fit. In my area, you only legally have to give a chicken 1 sq ft of space in housing. So 10 sq ft of coop = 10 chickens!

Going with a shed is a great idea. The examples you posted are ideal for a hotter climate.

Simple, they're using bare bones legal minimum numbers to calculate how many chickens fit. In my area, you only legally have to give a chicken 1 sq ft of space in housing. So 10 sq ft of coop = 10 chickens!

Going with a shed is a great idea. The examples you posted are ideal for a hotter climate.
Yikes! That’s no room at all. I can’t believe the bs marketing out there, not to mention the really horrible living situations that could result. Thanks, RosemaryThyme, for letting me know where those numbers were coming from. Bad marketing math vs good BYC math.

b) get a larger shed and use it as the run by replacing 2 walls with framing and hardware cloth, and building coop structures into it (nesting boxes, roosts, etc).

I would go with this. Because a mostly wire, or at least half wire coop is EXACTLY what you need in a hot climate. A box for a coop is BAD in the heat! (I grew up in Texas raising chickens, so I am familiar with hot weather and chickens).

I would go with a wood shed as it is so much easier to convert and make modification

So true. Working with wood is easy. :old

Back
Top Bottom