coop measurements

eggciting eggs

Chirping
Jan 14, 2018
Massachusettes
I am converting a new coop soon but I can't decide on the measurements, I have 7 chickens but I am going to get 13 chicks in the spring. They are all going to live in the same coop eventually, I was thinking 8 by 4 plus I am building a second half level of the coop so total space 48 sq. feet. But that could be too big considering the cold weather here in New England, Any ideas?

Bigger = better.

Chickens poop. A lot. This produces a lot of ammonia, which can seriously affect your girls' health. And if you're anything like me, you don't clean the coop when there's more than a foot of snow or four inches of mud. (If I can't push the wheelbarrow, it ain't getting done.)

You should be worried about moisture, not cold. Chickens can take the cold. I've had it down to 30 below, and the rooster lost all of the tips off of his comb. That was the only thing that happened. In eight years, I've had one hen die in winter. She choked on a piece of corn (freak accident, but that's what I found in her throat when I wondered why a perfectly healthy hen had died an hour after I fed them.)

Chickens, especially new layers, occasionally like to beat each other up for protein (i. e., cannibalise.) You can prevent this by having a bigger coop.

EDT: also, they're mostly confined to the coop during winter. You want the timid ones to have space to get away from the bored, cranky, evil ones.

Just make sure you don't have drafts and do have ventilation. They should be fine.

I am converting a new coop soon but I can't decide on the measurements, I have 7 chickens but I am going to get 13 chicks in the spring. They are all going to live in the same coop eventually, I was thinking 8 by 4 plus I am building a second half level of the coop so total space 48 sq. feet. But that could be too big considering the cold weather here in New England, Any ideas?
chickens like to all flock together high as they can
4 sq ft per chicken minimum in coop x 20 = 80 sq ft minimum
10 sq ft per chicken in the run

Your new coop will be way too small! At least eighty sq. ft, and bigger will be better, for the coop, and then a much larger run. How about 8' x12' minimum? Then a big run.
Depending on where you live, a covered run is great (no snow!) and extra space is so worth it!
Have you looked at the Woods coops? They are the best! Otherwise, a garden shed can be modified into a nice coop, or in hot climates, a three sided shed is good.
Mary

Bigger = better.

Chickens poop. A lot. This produces a lot of ammonia, which can seriously affect your girls' health. And if you're anything like me, you don't clean the coop when there's more than a foot of snow or four inches of mud. (If I can't push the wheelbarrow, it ain't getting done.)

You should be worried about moisture, not cold. Chickens can take the cold. I've had it down to 30 below, and the rooster lost all of the tips off of his comb. That was the only thing that happened. In eight years, I've had one hen die in winter. She choked on a piece of corn (freak accident, but that's what I found in her throat when I wondered why a perfectly healthy hen had died an hour after I fed them.)

Chickens, especially new layers, occasionally like to beat each other up for protein (i. e., cannibalise.) You can prevent this by having a bigger coop.

EDT: also, they're mostly confined to the coop during winter. You want the timid ones to have space to get away from the bored, cranky, evil ones.

Just make sure you don't have drafts and do have ventilation. They should be fine.
Eggcellent post!

I was thinking 8 by 4 plus I am building a second half level of the coop so total space 48 sq. feet.
As other posters have pointed out, that's too small, also before you plan your square footage to include a second level you should post a detailed description of what you mean by that and check here for feedback. That level may not be useful in your calculations and in fact may hinder usage of the rest of your square footage.

Last edited:
Your new coop will be way too small! At least eighty sq. ft, and bigger will be better, for the coop, and then a much larger run. How about 8' x12' minimum? Then a big run.
Depending on where you live, a covered run is great (no snow!) and extra space is so worth it!
Have you looked at the Woods coops? They are the best! Otherwise, a garden shed can be modified into a nice coop, or in hot climates, a three sided shed is good.
Mary
The garden sheds I have been looking at are wooden, because I thought wooden would be best for New England.

Back
Top Bottom