Coop pics****

The girls moved in today:) unfortunately we can't free range in the city so my husband built them a 17 foot long chicken run. All 5 (6 week old) are really enjoying their new home. Now quick question for you experienced people how on earth do you get yours into their coops at night? I've been told they'll do it on their own but I had to put them inside. I locked it up (8 locks) and instead of roosting they huddled together in the corner freaking out.

I've heard that you should leave them in the coop for a week so they know that is home. I am trying that with mine, not sure if it works. My chicks have only been out in their coop for 2 days. It better work, I really don't want to be chasing 28 chickens around every night.

I've heard that you should leave them in the coop for a week so they know that is home. I am trying that with mine, not sure if it works. My chicks have only been out in their coop for 2 days. It better work, I really don't want to be chasing 28 chickens around every night.
Worked great with mine. I put them in the coop as soon as I finished building it....the chicks were about 4 weeks old and were content there for the next week while I built the run around the coop. As soon as the run was finished I let them out of the coop. 2 hours later the sun set and all the chicks went right into the coop and hopped up on the roosts. They've done that every night at sundown since....3 weeks now. Now the ducklings.....they're a different story.

Good news they learned it all on their own;) tonight they put themselves to sleep. I never had to put them on the coop for any amount of time. Yay
that's awesome yeah that pretty much worked for me as well, but I have fresh air chickens not free range so it was much easier to do so. in addition I use a chicken tracto to let them graze on grass on nice days.

Ya mine aren't free range either. I live in Downtown area (I'm surprised they allow chickens). I did have to put them away for the first few nights, they would pace back and forth freaking out but never go into the coop themselves until tonight!!

Yep. I put them up a few nights but then they just seem to get it and every night at about 8pm they go to bed until 8am.

Back
Top Bottom