1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. CRPerryJr

CRPerryJr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2009
    Hartland, MI
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  2. regcal966

regcal966 Out Of The Brooder

I've heard that you should leave them in the coop for a week so they know that is home. I am trying that with mine, not sure if it works. My chicks have only been out in their coop for 2 days. It better work, I really don't want to be chasing 28 chickens around every night.

3. Lulu1218

Lulu1218 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    My first coop made from a camper top. I love the idea of recycling!! My chickens love it. The rear of the top opens for easy egg access.

1 person likes this.
  4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop

Omg that style is one of my favs my breeder used those for his geese

1 person likes this.
  5. smccuen

smccuen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Western NC
    Worked great with mine. I put them in the coop as soon as I finished building it....the chicks were about 4 weeks old and were content there for the next week while I built the run around the coop. As soon as the run was finished I let them out of the coop. 2 hours later the sun set and all the chicks went right into the coop and hopped up on the roosts. They've done that every night at sundown since....3 weeks now. Now the ducklings.....they're a different story.

6. my little peeps

my little peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Cary, NC
    Good news they learned it all on their own;) tonight they put themselves to sleep. I never had to put them on the coop for any amount of time. Yay

7. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    that's awesome yeah that pretty much worked for me as well, but I have fresh air chickens not free range so it was much easier to do so. in addition I use a chicken tracto to let them graze on grass on nice days.

8. my little peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Cary, NC
    Ya mine aren't free range either. I live in Downtown area (I'm surprised they allow chickens). I did have to put them away for the first few nights, they would pace back and forth freaking out but never go into the coop themselves until tonight!!

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is one of my coops, it is home to four birds. Dimensions are 4'/3' in the coop, and the run is 5'/8'.
    [​IMG]
    And no, the colors are NOT for GA Bulldogs! lol

10. my little peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Cary, NC

Yep. I put them up a few nights but then they just seem to get it and every night at about 8pm they go to bed until 8am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by