Coop Prep Confusion

Dale B

Hatching
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
First post and first venture into raising laying hens
Trying to absorb as much information as possible before my new coop arrives so I can hit the ground running.
I'm confused by one post that I've read at another site that states that the coop needs to have aged dry compost spread on the floor then spray with water and covered with fresh grass.
The benefit of this is that it helps to produce healthy bacterial growth that is good for the chickens.
I plan on purchasing juvenile pullets between 9-20 weeks old.
Is this a good idea or are there other better methods to get a new coop ready?
Thanks

Welcome aboard Dale B. You will definitely get lots of opinions and view points from this site. There are as many ideas on raising chickens as there are people on this form practically.

Two major items to keep in mind is your geography and the breed of chickens you are keeping. Not all information will be suitable for your set up.

I personally am partial to the Golden Comet chickens (sex link). They come under several different names depending what hatchery you get them from.

I think it is wise to get juvenile birds in your case because it cuts down the wait time for your first egg. You chances of loss on older birds I find is reduced. That in it self shows you put some thought into this venture before you got your feet wet.

It is nice to have another bird brain in the midst because some of us are not allowed to pursue any subject with family members that have feathers as an outside protective covering..

Last edited:
It just depends on your coop and your management style. I do deep litter over dirt floors. Simple and easy, just toss in some straw when needed. If you are going to do deep litter on a raised floor, then adding a half inch of old compost or garden soil would be a good idea to kickstart the process. Other wise just put in some straw or shavings and get going.

That states that the coop needs to have aged dry compost spread on the floor then spray with water and covered with fresh grass. Well Dale B I personally have no experience of setting up a coop as described. It does sound reasonable from my view point and may kick start you along.

You are eventually going to end up with the same result if you use some sort of bedding in your coop to soak up the moisture from the droppings.

You could try it I can not see any harm. Personally I would just go with a dry pine shaving or something similar but that is just me. I think most of the Backyarders would agree.

Last edited:
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

You’ll fine there are a ton of different things we do. In almost everything to do with chickens there is not one right way where everything else is wrong. There is just the way that works for us. If you read a post where someone tells you that you have to do something a certain way or civilization as we know it will forever change, you might want to get another opinion.

I’ve never heard of putting dry aged compost down, wetting it, then covering it with hay or grass clippings. It sounds like a version of the deep litter method. There are many variations of that. Sounds like someone found a way that works for them. All I can say is good for them.

I don’t have a clue what your coop looks like or how you plan to manage them. I don’t know if yours is a walk-in coop on the ground or an elevated coop that you can’t fit in. I don’t know if your chickens will forage or will be confined to a small area. I don’t have a clue to your climate or other restrictions. I don’t know how many chickens you plan on or how much space they will have in the coop or outside or when they will have access to the outside. There is so much I don’t know about your coop and conditions I can’t give specific advice.

If you wish to give us some specific information about your unique conditions maybe some people can give you some suggestions.

...I'm confused by one post that I've read at another site that states that the coop needs to have aged dry compost spread on the floor then spray with water and covered with fresh grass.
The benefit of this is that it helps to produce healthy bacterial growth that is good for the chickens...
Thanks

I've been chicken ranching for 8 months. Read everything post I could fine and even read "Chickens for Dummies".

Your post is the first time I read aged dry compost sprayed with water and cover with fresh grass produces a healthy bacterial growth.

Keeping in mind I've only raised 9 BOs from 2 days old to the present. All 9 are still alive and laying. All I used for bedding was wood chips from Tractor Supply.

Just trying to learn
But if I need advise on saving civilization as we know it I'll certainly come to you with all the right info

yuckyuck.gif

and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom