Coop Questions - Door Placement and Coop Location

FarmKat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
OK, getting ready to build my coop, but am having trouble with a couple things.

First, where to put it?! I have two spots in mind, both are about the same distance from the house:

1) Under a tree in the yard - the coop will be in the shade on summer afternoons, so it should stay cooler; can reach it with an extension cord if necessary but wouldn't want to keep it plugged in that way permanently. Can be seen from the house and road.
2) Behind our guest house, next to an electric outlet so I could have lights or a heater or whatever else I might need to plug in in there. Can't see it from the house. Not very shady at any time of day, though.

Which sounds better???

Second, I am thinking about putting the chickens' door in the bottom of the coop instead of a side wall. The door would double as the ramp. That way I could eventually install an auto door that predators could not open as easily (it would close upwards). I think I've seen some designs like this, and my coop is going to be up off the ground so it won't be a problem. Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the door placement part of your question, though I've seen several coops that have exactly what you described.

As for the location, I asked the same question here a while back. The answer I got was twofold: the farther from the house the coop is, the more you'll have to haul feed, etc. Also, that shade never killed chickens, but heat sure has. I wound up putting my coop closer to the house and under the shade of a few trees.

Hope that my experience is helpful.

I'd put it in the shade. I don't have that option, but if I did, that's what I'd do! Mine is going to be in the blazing sun. But I'm also going to plant a few trees right next to it and honeysuckle vines to grow over the run to provide shade and wind break in the winter. The run will also be half covered. The direct sun and heat is brutal on them in the summer.

mine is in the shade most of the day. It really helps keep things cooler. don't know about the door question....

cool.png

Quote:
Hi,
I think under the tree would definitely be the best, and being able to see if from the house is a Great thing. We LOVE to watch the girls whenever we can.

I've seen several plans with the pop door in the floor, but haven't heard any pros or cons. Sorry.

Shade! Just make sure your neighbors don't mind if they can see it from the road?

The door in the floor should be fine! Although I'm not sure how it would work with the door doubling as a ramp... seems like it would end up being too short / steep to do anything. I could be wrong though.

A door in the floor will work however you will lose usable floor space compared to having the door on the wall and it will to some extent impact the overall layout of the interior. My first design had the door in the floor but after planning where the roosts, the nest boxes and the in-house waterer were going, I opted for the door on the wall. The construction concern to address is how will the door be positioned in relation to the floor joists. My house is raised and the floor joists are 2x8's. Those joists force the floor door to be oriented either north-south or east-west depending on how the joists are arranged. I may have over-complicated the matter but I had to deal with it and that made moving the door to the wall a more appealing solution.

Also, put the house under the tree. The chickens will appreciate the shade.

Thanks for the tips! I will go with under the tree for sure. Considering I live in the middle of nowhere, a chicken coop will look great compared to what some people have in their yards!
roll.png

I'm going to have to think about the door now... I'm just really worried about predators and thought with an auto door opener that would make it safer? Hmm...

Definitely put the coop in the shade. My coop is under a big tree the only problem is predators can climb up the tree & come down on your coop using the limbs. At least, this is my case I can't see your tree. I have hot wire around a window that the predator could possibly get in if he descends down the tree. Again, I can't see your set up. My coop is in a great location I can look through a window & see it. Its close to the house so I can hear anything that goes on over there. I hear something I look through the window & check on the birds. My gun is always loaded. The door sounds good just try it & if it doesn't fit your application you can move it. Working with wood is great you can always alter it. I use screws for everything I build if I make a mistake zip zip & remove.

Back
Top Bottom