Coop Questions

I'm hoping to use the space under it. My yard isn't huge, and the extra run space would be useful.

I really like being able to walk into my coop, though.
You can have a raised coop that's walk in.
Granted I only have 6x8 portion fenced off underneath so I don't have to crawl too far,
but it's a great space out of the weather for the birds.
Pic just before coop and run were built.

Hi Friends,

I currently have 25 chicks and am preparing to build their coop.

I'm hoping to build a raised coop, but wonder what to do about the bedding. The coop will be constructed of wood, which means I cannot use the deep litter method as the wood will rot, and I fear this will happen with other litter methods as well (sand, straw, etc.). We have cold winters in the Boston area, so the floor cannot be mesh. Should I not elevate the coop, use an alternate flooring material? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

I really like a coop that is at least a foot up off the ground... nothing worse then having to shovel to open the coop door. :sick

I used quality plywood and have my litter right on it.... has help up for 10 years. :confused: Only 1 of my coops has a raised dirt floor... the rest have dirt.

I do love being able to walk into my coops.... well, my duck coop I have to crouch and stay hunched... and that sure makes it a bear to clean.

In a cold snowy climate you need LOTS of snow free area of your birds will start to eat each other before spring rolls around.

You can look at my coop pages to see what I came up with....

and here is my article on general cold weather housing:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing.72010/

Hi Friends,

I currently have 25 chicks and am preparing to build their coop.

I'm hoping to build a raised coop, but wonder what to do about the bedding. The coop will be constructed of wood, which means I cannot use the deep litter method as the wood will rot, and I fear this will happen with other litter methods as well (sand, straw, etc.). We have cold winters in the Boston area, so the floor cannot be mesh. Should I not elevate the coop, use an alternate flooring material? Suggestions would be much appreciated!
I hope you have found an answer by now, but you can line the floor with linoleum or use metal baking trays or plastic plant trays to help keep things clean, clean easier. Also, I am now hearing a lot about PDZ as something to use instead of pine shavings or sand.

Back
Top Bottom