Coop Questions

zs14

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2018
Hi Friends,

I currently have 25 chicks and am preparing to build their coop.

I'm hoping to build a raised coop, but wonder what to do about the bedding. The coop will be constructed of wood, which means I cannot use the deep litter method as the wood will rot, and I fear this will happen with other litter methods as well (sand, straw, etc.). We have cold winters in the Boston area, so the floor cannot be mesh. Should I not elevate the coop, use an alternate flooring material? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

I'm hoping to use the space under it. My yard isn't huge, and the extra run space would be useful. I also think it would be a good place to keep my feeder so it can be protected from the elements, while not messing up the coop.

I'm hoping to use the space under it. My yard isn't huge, and the extra run space would be useful. I also think it would be a good place to keep my feeder so it can be protected from the elements, while not messing up the coop.
Fair enough. I really like being able to walk into my coop, though. Easy to clean, easy to reach everything, etc.

Treated plywood's fine (Or at least it works for the floor of my coop, which is six inches off of the ground on concrete blocks). Chickens don't produce that much water, so long as everything's well ventilated.

I bed with hay, and clean out once a week (that's with twenty-two laying hens) and the only wood that's begun to rot is right next to the hen-door, mostly because we used to have goats that liked to knock over the water bucket right there.

I asked a similar question and have a similar number of chicks too! The general consensus was to NOT raise the coop as it would be difficult to clean if I couldn't walk in it. I was also told that if the coop were raised to make sure I could still walk in it. We ordered a storage shed last week that's 10x20 and plan to convert it to utilize it as a coop on one side and a portion of it as a storage shed on the other side. We're going to line the coop portion with linoleum flooring but I too worry about the bottom of the shed eventually rotting since it IS wood. We will probably use a combo of fluffy wood shavings and those pellets that turn sandy-like as that's what we've used in the brooder and it's worked fairly well.

For your comfort and ease of cleaning, I would recommend something you can walk in. After a year or less of trying to do stuff inside the coop, you'll wish you made a walk in. A plywood floor will be fine, but spend the extra money and use 3/4". I highly recommend using Black Jack 57 Rubr-Coat on the floor and up the walls about 12". It's a rubber roof coating that holds up very well inside the coop. There are quite a few people on here that have used it inside their coops. Here is a thread on Black Jack. Your plywood must be clean when you apply it, also turn the can upside down a day or two before using it and it will stir a lot easier. I used the five gallon can and used a piece of 5/4 board to stir it, it took about 15 minutes.
All most forgot, I use a semi deep bedding(not DL) of pine shavings and some straw inside my coop, about 6" deep now. I add some fresh shavings about every other month, to freshen it up. I haven't cleaned it out yet and it's been a year. I have a poop board, so all the poop from roosting gets cleaned up every day or two. the board is filled with about 1/2" of Sweet PDZ. My coop doesn't smell bad and is well ventilated.

20170415_130426.jpg

20170416_130051.jpg

inside coop.jpg

20171013_225519.jpg

I am going to disagree about the raised coop - with caveats. I live in a dry, mild climate and have a raised coop/covered run combo. It is a breeze to clean and I clean it every day (sand bedding on a wood floor covered with vinyl tiles).

Caveats:
  • Chickens have plenty of non-coop space that is available to them year round (I have a covered run and my climate is mild so the uncovered chicken yard area is usable almost year round). Basically the coop space is for roosting and laying only all year round
  • Large doors in the coop give me access to the whole coop
  • Coop is a little higher than counter height so it is very comfortable to maintain
  • Food and water is outside of the coop so it doesn't take up space, allowing the coop to have a smaller footprint, so everything is withing reach.
  • Egg boxes are accessible from outside - again so the rest of the coop footprint is smaller and everything in the coop is accessible
Of course, since you are in the Boston area this probably won't work for you but I don't think that raised coops are necessarily a problem in all scenarios.

I think climate is a big decider for sure. I don't want to stand outside in freezing rain trying to get a look at my birds to make sure they are doing ok, or filling a feeder in a -10°F windchill. Feeding and cleaning is "fun" enough those days with the door firmly closed behind me.

Then again a raised coop with 4 square feet each for 25 birds would be a huge building to have raised.

I think climate is a big decider for sure. I don't want to stand outside in freezing rain trying to get a look at my birds to make sure they are doing ok, or filling a feeder in a -10°F windchill. Feeding and cleaning is "fun" enough those days with the door firmly closed behind me.

Then again a raised coop with 4 square feet each for 25 birds would be a huge building to have raised.

I agree - I don't think my coop would work for the OP even if he had 5 instead of 25 chicks. I would worry that a coop small enough that everything is within reach of doors for cleaning would not be large enough to provide appropriate ventilation without being drafty in a cold climate. My coop is VERY well ventilated but I really don't have to worry about drafts - the news goes crazy if we are going to have a couple nights that get down to the low 30s.

Of course, I am now envisioning a 12'x16' shed raised 6-7' high with stairs up to both the human and chicken doors.

Back
Top Bottom