Coop/Run Security confusion

JML72

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Ok - I'm confused with all the opinions on run security. Hope someone can advise. I'm building something similar to the palace, the whichita coop, etc that are listed all over this site. I'm doing hardware cloth for all wire - up the sides, under the roof, and even for the bottom of the run (under the ground - completely enclosing the run in 1/2" 19g hardware cloth). Windows and vents will be covered in hw cloth also. The only thing that won't have wire is the coop itself.

I'm reading about people saying "you MUST close the pop door or you will lose chickens no matter how secure your run." I'm confused. If I have vents and windows that are lined with hardware cloth, would the run still be considered a zone of questionable safety? I mean, if a nasty little critter wants in, wouldn't they probably try to get in through the wire window instead of through the run further away from the hoped-for-dinner?

I guess I'm lost as to how a coop with wired openings and a closed pop door is any more secure than a coop with wired windows and an open pop door opening into a run completely enclosed in hardware cloth.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

I'm also curious about other people's experience.

My run is enclosed in 1/4" hardware cloth, including a 3ft apron. The attached coop is a 10x12 ft covered in siding. I don't even have a pop door I could close. I have a trailcam nearby, with tons of pictures of raccoons and coyotes passing by the coop. I do a walk around the coop everyday to make sure nothing tried to break in, and so far I have not had any problems - I have the coop for 8 months now.

The only bird I lost so far was to a coyote, during the day, when the chickens were free ranging.

Keep in mind I'm a "newbie" and all I have is head knowledge (no experience).

Most runs are designed to keep chickens in, are open at the top or use a light weight netting for a roof to keep airborne predators out. Not very secure in keeping land base predators away from your chickens. Pop door (chicken door) is a must to secure the coop.

In my humble opinion a run that is covered in 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth on all four walls and roof with provisions made to prevent predators from digging under the walls can be as secured as the coop.

From your description it sounds like I'm building my run the same as you. First pictures shows the design of flat section of roof and the second picture as I started to install the hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I think GoChick has the right idea. Examine everyday for a possible breach in security, and keep an eye on those critters.
thumbsup.gif
I don't close my pop hole every night either.

You have to realize that we all have different circumstances and conditions. There is hardly ever one answer to any question that fits us all.

It is possible to build a run that is predator proof. Many people do. They don't have to worry about locking the pop door at night.

The larger your run, the harder and more expensive it is to make it truly predator-proof. I consider my run predator-resistent, not predator-proof, so I lock mine up every night in a very safe coop. Whether you need to lock yours up or not depends on your confidence in your run. That is your decision, not anyone else's.

Ok - I know there are extreme opinions on everything. I just didn't know what I might be missing. I have a fish pond and TONS of squirrels around, so I don't think my yard is teeming with blood thirsty predators just waiting for me to turn my back (I also raise dogs, so the smell of half-a-dozen or so canines around in the yard might help out a little). I obviously want to keep the little feathered things protected... but sometimes I think reading TOO much information is worse than not reading enough
hu.gif

You have to realize that we all have different circumstances and conditions. There is hardly ever one answer to any question that fits us all.
It is possible to build a run that is predator proof. Many people do. They don't have to worry about locking the pop door at night.
The larger your run, the harder and more expensive it is to make it truly predator-proof. I consider my run predator-resistent, not predator-proof, so I lock mine up every night in a very safe coop. Whether you need to lock yours up or not depends on your confidence in your run. That is your decision, not anyone else's.

Yup I know. And I was looking for advice from people who had been there, while providing them with my specific information, to see what learned opinions were - informed decision and all. That's why I asked instead of just reading the hundred-thousand posts on here that didn't have much to do with my specific situation.
smile.png

Second Ridgerunner's comment, except my pop door stays open. We always keep our eyeballs peeled.

We saw a fox yesterday pouncing on the run but could not breach. My boys ran out and chased the fox away.

JML, I have read postings that dogs can be harmful the the health of chickens :)

JML, I have read postings that dogs can be harmful the the health of chickens :)

Haha - yeah I heard that too. Luckily mine are (almost) always in their run. plus they're wussy dogs, so.... I'd be more worried about my tough champion dogs getting their butts kicked by my mongrel yard birds.....
lau.gif

Ok - I know there are extreme opinions on everything. I just didn't know what I might be missing. I have a fish pond and TONS of squirrels around, so I don't think my yard is teeming with blood thirsty predators just waiting for me to turn my back (I also raise dogs, so the smell of half-a-dozen or so canines around in the yard might help out a little). I obviously want to keep the little feathered things protected... but sometimes I think reading TOO much information is worse than not reading enough
hu.gif

I have dogs also, 95lb ones, very protective of the poultry, but they're in a competition with the coyotes on who's marking their territory the most... here is a pic of a coyote marking over my dogs... this was taken 30ft from my coop. One more thing... I have roost on my run, for the birds to use during the day, and they're right next to the perimeter, and that's one of the reasons I decided to use 1/4" hardware cloth and not 1/2" - I believer a raccoon could put his front paws through a 1/2" opening. And I've found raccoons prowling the area during the day...

(I love my trailcams... :)

Back
Top Bottom