Coop Siding

I cut those out. It cuts very easily.
31E2C551-170A-47B4-8F5E-658EE7F127AF.png

This is it?

We bought a shed last spring for our coop. We had two choices and went with pine board and batten. Our other choice was plywood which we would have painted with a good exterior primer then exterior paint. House wrap is helpful in people houses for reasons that don't apply in a coop and for reasons that are counter productive in a chicken coop.

I skipped the plywood and just did the smartside panels....... I paid around $38 per 4x8 sheet last spring. I am please with the way it turned out

Likewise.

Why pay for 2 layers?

For my Little Monitor Coop, the original (red), sides are T-111. After the remodel to replace bad chipboard (used where we'd run short of T-111 due to a "measure twice, cut once" failure), we used scrap SmartSide.

1632264321368.png

Neuchickenstein (no coop article yet), has fence boards over hardware cloth.

0917211147.jpg

So, if your plywood IS exterior grade, I'd paint it and call it good.

If your plywood IS NOT exterior grade, I'd take it off to use for some other, indoor, project and use T-111, SmartSide, or Hardieboard (ultimate durability, but hard on your cutting blades).

Metal siding is commonly used for animal housing in the American south, but *may* have condensation issues in colder climates.

I used SmartSide on my old coop, it comes primed and holds up well. Get a good quality paint for the exterior and it will last for many years. I had a shed with SmartSide and it still looked almost new after 15 years, with the original paint. Cry once over the paint cost, but you won't be painting it again for a long time and it will look good!

Save yourself some money and use OSB instead of plywood and/or siding. OSB performs better than plywood while also being cheaper. And it doesn't need siding. Just paint/seal it well and you're done. I used OSB on my coop for everything - floor, walls and roof (with shingles on top), and I used a solid color waterproofing wood stain. It's been through a very snowy winter and a very rainy summer, and hasn't budged.

Back
Top Bottom