Coop Siding

I skipped the plywood and just did the smartside panels....... I paid around $38 per 4x8 sheet last spring. I am please with the way it turned out

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SmartSide-...tual-0-315-in-x-48-563-in-x-95-875-in/3058153

1632237523722.png

1632237560822.png

I skipped the plywood and just did the smartside panels....... I paid around $38 per 4x8 sheet last spring. I am please with the way it turned out

Likewise.

Why pay for 2 layers?

For my Little Monitor Coop, the original (red), sides are T-111. After the remodel to replace bad chipboard (used where we'd run short of T-111 due to a "measure twice, cut once" failure), we used scrap SmartSide.

1632264321368.png

Neuchickenstein (no coop article yet), has fence boards over hardware cloth.

0917211147.jpg

So, if your plywood IS exterior grade, I'd paint it and call it good.

If your plywood IS NOT exterior grade, I'd take it off to use for some other, indoor, project and use T-111, SmartSide, or Hardieboard (ultimate durability, but hard on your cutting blades).

Metal siding is commonly used for animal housing in the American south, but *may* have condensation issues in colder climates.

What do y’all use as coop siding? Of course the walls will be made from plywood but what is put over the plywood?
We didn’t use plywood. We just nailed rough sawn cedar planks in stacked shingle style. It’s in the profile pic. Years later it is now a silvery grey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom