Coop styles for small yards

Very nice Meghalu. If I could offer some advice, I would have added or allowed for guttering to catch rain water running off the House roof and into the Run. Then again I'm in Great Britain and you probably get more sunshine.
big_smile.png

I know that I wouldn't have to add gutters where I am. We hardly get rain in Northern Utah, but it seemed this year was an exception. We do get fairly heavy snow in the winter though.

I built a chicken coop/tractor combo out of a rabbit hutch I got used from craigslist. It has a seperator inside so on one half I put nest boxes and the other half has a roosting stick, feed bowl on the wire cage and a drinking bottle. I put a "shutter" on the front so I can close it at night to keep them warm and protect them from rain, etc. I also made half of the run part be able to open up like a door in case I needed to get in there for some reason.
98929_dscn5770.jpg

Cute coop! I built a "Stagecoach tractor" and it worked out well. Got the plans from ebay you may want to take a look. Be warned, it's not easy.

Great looking coop and yard. So the total footprint is 4x8, and you have a 4x3 coop that is built so that the run extends below the coop?

Yes, The overall run size is 4x8. The entire thing cost about $250.00 to build. The most expensive part was the wire I used 16 guage 1/2 x 1 inch cage wire.

Last edited:
Quote:
How much did it cost to make these. And how did you make them? Thanks, I love them and itd look perfect in my yard
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks woodenart, I actually live in a desert (the only one in Canada), so rain is not so much a concern for us. Although if/when I move anywhere else, I would definitely build the next coop with gutters. I did put down sand in the run to help with drainage for the occasional rain shower we do get, that seems to work pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom