Cooping up at night

This is a sad reality, and problems will only increase during the Mi. winter when birds are likely confined to the coop.
So my birds won’t be confined to just the coop for winter, they have a 8x26 enclosed run, with another enclosed run attached (green house) for the winter. They also have a fenced in area outside the run that they hang out in. My birds only use their coop to sleep and lay eggs, and they never just hang out inside the coop itself. The coop is their sleeping and laying eggs quarter. I guess I didn’t say they have access to a TON of space outside. So it probably seemed like they were in a tiny space. Which they are not.

I mean you do realize that my birds free range. And are rarely in the coop or run. Only to sleep, or lay eggs. And IF I wanted 30 birds that coop PER spec of our climate and birds that free range is perfect. The context of my post was bullying. But it seems I may have not understood pecking order to a very good extent, which is what’s going on. And it’s since then hashed it’s self out.

No matter what various guidelines and specs may say, many problems go away when you give more space. You do not mention problems when your birds are out free ranging-- I'm thinking that's because they have so much space out there.

So in the context of birds pecking or bullying at roost time, the size of the coop IS relevant. For example, if you had twice as much coop space and twice as much roost space, there would be more options for them to spread out, and the lower ranking birds could stay further away from the higher ranking ones.

Guidelines for chicken space often assume they are are all the same age & breed. If any are different breeds, or are different ages, they tend to have problems even when they have space that seems like it should be enough. (Which is why the recommendations on this forum are often higher than you see elsewhere-- many people here have a variety of breeds and a variety of ages, so the extra space really is needed for their chickens.)

But since you say it has improved to the point of not being a problem, then I'm glad they did work it out!

No matter what various guidelines and specs may say, many problems go away when you give more space. You do not mention problems when your birds are out free ranging-- I'm thinking that's because they have so much space out there.

So in the context of birds pecking or bullying at roost time, the size of the coop IS relevant. For example, if you had twice as much coop space and twice as much roost space, there would be more options for them to spread out, and the lower ranking birds could stay further away from the higher ranking ones.

Guidelines for chicken space often assume they are are all the same age & breed. If any are different breeds, or are different ages, they tend to have problems even when they have space that seems like it should be enough. (Which is why the recommendations on this forum are often higher than you see elsewhere-- many people here have a variety of breeds and a variety of ages, so the extra space really is needed for their chickens.)

But since you say it has improved to the point of not being a problem, then I'm glad they did work it out!
This is my roost bars right now you can see there is enough space :) but yes it did work itself out. We had our first frost last night and they all seems happy and content. Balmy 42 degrees inside.
BABF9E7F-2D48-490E-BBDE-4AC6C4E4D29B.png
5ED8FF53-1414-4DAA-81FA-7FC59BB5ADAB.png
FAF35B31-5536-40E1-AEA8-9F9A48644235.png
D6C77E7B-2D10-4BE7-B5BC-871357503442.png
And I have a couple laying right now lol

Wow. That is an awful lot to assume from a few sentences on a forum. Or even a lot of posts and threads in such a one dimension interaction.

Anyway.

There are probably more factors.

The next question is should anything be done about it. If so, what.
Whether a hen is laying or not is
significant factor.

Should anything be done about it? It depends on your goals and resources. I would but I keep hens for the sole purpose of the joy of caring for them and the peace I find with them. My threshold for drama in the coop is really low. Many people put the threshold at blood draw/injury.

"If so, what?"
It seems from the updates that you have found some of the things that can be done... clipping the feathers on their heads, less (or different, maybe?) intervention, time for them to work things out and for pullets to start laying.

If that is enough, great!

The easier it is for a lower ranking bird to give way to a higher ranking bird and/or to not draw her attention the less trouble the flock will have with either pecking order conflicts or bullying. More space per bird, more clutter for them to hide under or behind, and more locations for resources (several feeders, waterers, routes, ect) help tremendously. The recommended space per bird never fits every situation. The numbers recommended here don't. Neither do anyone else's numbers.

Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom