Coops covered in snow

58517_snow_09_015.jpg

Quote:
Snow has two sides to it. On the one hand it can be a real pain in the butt. Digging out driveways, shoveling pathways around the house, clearing eve-troughs, or roof's. Damage can occur to trees, and plants due to the weight. Then there is the sloppy mess as it melts away..

On the other hand, a fresh snowfall is stunningly beautiful, especially out in the country. Sound is absorbed by snow, so there is a special quiet that occurs like no other. A sunny morning after a fresh snowfall, beckons at you to get outside and wander around. The world as you know it, is all new and fresh. It can be a wonderful experience.

You do know that snow is warm, and feels like cotton batten don't you?

lol.png
wink.png

CIMG3255.jpg

CIMG3262.jpg

100_0248.jpg

100_0250.jpg

Snow. Do you heat your Barn or
69877_winter_ducks_and_barn.jpg
Coop? This is our first year with Silkie Chickens.

Lynn,

I love your property. So beautiful.

And I agree with the silence of a fresh new morning with snow, it is so serene, so awesomely beautiful. When it snows heavy here in Washington state, cars get into lots of accidents, even in the rural side where we live. Most people just stay home. Taking walks is nice, cos you hear the crunchy snow beneath every foot step. I love to have snow flakes fall on my eye lashes and my nose when I look up to blue skies and light flurries.

This is also our first winter with silkies. We had only 1 dutch hen for winter last year, she had a tiny coop with no heating, and she made it through. She is one tough hen. Now we have 45 chickens, and I'm eager to see what lessons we'll have to learn with chickens and winter.

"You do know that snow is warm, and feels like cotton batten don't you?"

Bills, no I didn't know that!
Thanks for the run down on the down side of snow - never considered any of those things.
You must keep fit then in winter digging out driveways etc
wink.png

Quote:
I run a heat lamp, which is rigged to a dimmer switch so I can control it. I never run it on high.
It can stop the water from freezing, and keep the coop slightly warmer, and dryer. I only use it in when we get minus temps day and night.

Sure some great pictures, and some beautiful countryside!
smile.png

I wanted to upload this yesterday but we had 10-12 inches of snow for our first snowfall of the winter and our satellite internet was out all day until evening. We didn't even attempt to get out of our driveway. What to do when you're stuck in the house all day; I actually cooked and cleaned! Well, a little bit. I kept running out to see how the chickens were and they stayed out all day, only going in to lay two eggs and then to roost at 5:30.
56209_img_0735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom