Copper Marans Neck Feathers Missing for 10 Months

Gasmanls7

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
Hello,

I have a Copper Maran in a mixed flock with plenty of room and an established pecking order. They have free access to food and water in a few different locations and not witnessed any severe bullying (my ayam cemani gets the odd peck as she's bottom of the pecking order :-( ).

The Copper Maran is fairly near the top of the pecking order and I haven't seen it pecked at before, but it does peck at others on the roost at night. Last year it moulted in November along with the others and stopped laying, it seemed to lose the most feathers out of the flock. It started laying again within a month or so but never grew back the feathers on its neck. I assumed this was due to it being a prolific layer and have been feeding it extra protein whenever possible (cooked meat scraps from the kitchen, scrambled eggs, wet cat food etc).

Based on what I've read I am expecting the feathers to grow back after this autumn's moult but wanted to check on here also. I have noticed in the past week or so the few feathers she had around her neck have also fallen out and her neck is a bit red, possibly sun burn?

The coop is cleaned out regularly, diatomaceous earth is used with hemp bedding and around once every 1-2 months the coop is jet washed with poultry cleaning solution. There are no signs of mites, all other chickens are fine and her comb is rosy red. Her behaviour is normal. Pics attached for reference.

Attachments

• 20200805_120118.jpg
    20200805_120118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200805_120113.jpg
    20200805_120113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200805_120109.jpg
    20200805_120109.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200805_120104.jpg
    20200805_120104.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 5
You can see some new pin feathers growing in on the neck. The other chickens are probably pulling out new feathers as they come in. I would look at how much room they have, in case of overcrowding, and how much protein they get in their feed. Boredom from not getting outside to roam also can promote picking. I would be tempted to either cover the neck with a tiny scarf or use an antipicking ointment. Nustock cream, pine tar, and other bad tasting ointments can be applied to the skin.

My Henny Penny has the SAME THING going on. It even started around the same time, about 10 months ago.. Overcrowding doesn't make sense in my situation because there were 8 hens in a coop built for 16 at the time, and plenty of outdoor space. Following to see what else you find out.

Yeah i don't think it's overcrowding, I have 5 hens and 4 chicks an area roughly the size of a football penalty box. Hard to say what they're doing on the roosts at night though so will try some anti pick ointment.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom