Corid and Terramycin together?

You CAN use eletrolytes with corid, and yes, if you really feel it nessesary, life or death, you can also mix the corid with the antibiotic. The reason you can NOT treat with vitamins, is that cocci feed off thiamine. Corid is a thiamine blocker...so if you treat with vitamins, you defeat the corid, in others words, you are still feeding the cocci...also, if you dose with corid, no NOT use medicated feed. Cant remember the reason why, too tired and too old, to remember and would have to go look it up.

If you are losing birds, left and right, then I would try both, if you feel there could be a respiratory issue, or secondary illness, sounds to me though, that it could be cocci. Flfuffy feathers was one of the first signs I had, besides medium brown runny poo's...no blood at all...and one day of not eating at all or drinking at all, or so little it was hard to tell and hunched.

Haunted55 has seen just about everything you could imagine. I would trust her words. She helped save my flock and many others too!

Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon and powder is 1/2 - 3/4th tsp per gallon.. Treat immediately. ( you can turn on a light if you have one where your birds are or try to run one out to them, this will get them up and drinking and eating) Reccommed dosing time is 5-7 days. I did 7 days and started at 1 tsp per gallon. Also I mixed it, with some luke warm water, and poured over their feed. Enough feed that they would eat it in about 2 hours. They LOVED the mushy feed, gobbled it up, thus, getting a good dose of the corid. We are on day two of finishing the 7 days and I am happy to say, not ONE death and all are fine. Runny poo's took a bit longer in some and I treated them ALL, as this is a very contagious parasite and can take them down fast!

One more thought, it is not recommended to use both at the same time, BUT, if your birds are dying, you can't be sure of a diagnosis, and you really feel they have a secondary issue as well... I have read many others that have done fine with using both. I didn't treat with the antibiotic as I was 99% sure it was cocci, as was Haunted55 and she said stick with just the corid. She HAS used both with no ill affects, and others have also...I mention her name as she already posted it..the others haven't. Maybe they will jump on and tell you their stories of using the both in extreme situations?

If you feel you want to pick one med, I would try the mushy feed with 1 tsp per gallon, for one day and if you don't see, some kind of improvement, then try the antibiotic...that was my plan, but I didn't need to use the antibiotic, as I saw some improvement in the first 4-6 hours after administering the corid. So knew what was wrong for sure.

Best of luck and hope your bird recovers quickly!

I'm sorry, but Merks says there isn't and if you have chicks on medicated feed and they need an antibiotic, do you take them off the medicated feed? It is always a good thing to err on the side of caution, but until I see something that says no, you cannot do it, I will continue to advise the way I am. I have done this repeatedly with my own birds. I don't believe it is luck we are talking about here. Feed additives, yes, especially if it is another dosing of amprolium or added vitamins. Both could and most probably would negate the Corid treatment. A sulpha drug could cause problems though as amprolium has some of the sulpha qualities in it.
What they suggest is that if you must give both,space doses apart ie: give amprolium in morning then give antibiotic in the evening. I believe the concern is that in some cases giving together may cause bird to regurgitate drugs and that both together may be to hard on system at one time. Medicated feed is not an issue as the amount of amprolium is very small.

My opinion is not to put them in the same water container. Give as many meds as you need, just don't make a practice of mixing them together in water...I have seen too many things mixed will cause a chemical reaction and cause sedimentation. Certain drugs can be safely given together in a syringe as a shot, but some will be dangerous together.

There is a contraindication with the amprolium in the medicated feed, I just can't remember what it is....and if you are treating with corid it needs to be constant, not part of a day, as it does NOT stay in the system like an antibiotic would.

I had every intention of using both, if nessesary, but found the corid was enough. I also did not see any symptoms of a secondary infection. Believe you me, if I had, they would've had both.

Cocci is a hard one to catch early, so many are far past that point of early detection! Thus the bumped up start with mine!

The reason they don't recommend, it is because they haven't done the studies to find out if there are any problems, but I listen to people who have the actual experience, vs reading it on the internet, any day..that is my own opinion.

I treat as I see fit! As I said, I did not lose ONE bird! I had a few that still had runny poo's on day 5 though...it took those couple extra days for those few to get the cocci in balance and as I was feeding only ONE water source, to be sure they actually got the meds in, they all got the 7 days.

You will read many different opinions on here, some from experience, some from reading it somewhere. I take my advise from those that have the experience.

Best of luck!

My opinion is not to put them in the same water container. Give as many meds as you need, just don't make a practice of mixing them together in water...I have seen too many things mixed will cause a chemical reaction and cause sedimentation. Certain drugs can be safely given together in a syringe as a shot, but some will be dangerous together.
Agreed, as I already said, but the tetracycline drugs are not an issue. Some of the pens aren't either but you'd better read up on them before giving. I have spoken with a couple of reps from the company that markets Corid and was given the information I have. As Centrachid said, they haven't done the research themselves so cannot market it as being safe. If there is an indication of a possible secondary infection and a showing of secretion from the nose is a good one, I personally would not hesitate to give an antibiotic, Duramycin-10, to combat it. Coccidiosis and something else going on equals death unless you treat them both. Cocci has the bird already weak and a respiraory issue on top of it? That isn't anyones's idea of a good time.

Eggcessive, we can agree on a lot of the same points, all I am asking is you look into this a bit further than the worries of legal actions that could be taken against a Vet or a Drug Company. They both have to cover their backside and if the Corid by itself doesn't work...they can always say "Gee, we missed that one didn't we? Must have gotten a secondary infection because they were so weak."

My point...Amprolium is only going to work if it is given constantly for the duration. Not once in the morning and antibiotic at night. that doesn't make sense. Amprolium works by being in the system at a constant level blocking the thiamine. It is my opinion that to do it as you or TenChicks have said to do, is putting your birds at risk. Now this is just my opinion and common sense talking with this, plus the info gotten from the reps at the home company. Each person has to make their own decision about how they want to treat. They need to know as much as they can find out and hear a lot of differing opinions. Then they have to make the fianl decision themselves.

Agreed, as I already said, but the tetracycline drugs are not an issue. Some of the pens aren't either but you'd better read up on them before giving. I have spoken with a couple of reps from the company that markets Corid and was given the information I have. As Centrachid said, they haven't done the research themselves so cannot market it as being safe. If there is an indication of a possible secondary infection and a showing of secretion from the nose is a good one, I personally would not hesitate to give an antibiotic, Duramycin-10, to combat it. Coccidiosis and something else going on equals death unless you treat them both. Cocci has the bird already weak and a respiraory issue on top of it? That isn't anyones's idea of a good time.

Eggcessive, we can agree on a lot of the same points, all I am asking is you look into this a bit further than the worries of legal actions that could be taken against a Vet or a Drug Company. They both have to cover their backside and if the Corid by itself doesn't work...they can always say "Gee, we missed that one didn't we? Must have gotten a secondary infection because they were so weak."

My point...Amprolium is only going to work if it is given constantly for the duration. Not once in the morning and antibiotic at night. that doesn't make sense. Amprolium works by being in the system at a constant level blocking the thiamine. It is my opinion that to do it as you or TenChicks have said to do, is putting your birds at risk. Now this is just my opinion and common sense talking with this, plus the info gotten from the reps at the home company. Each person has to make their own decision about how they want to treat. They need to know as much as they can find out and hear a lot of differing opinions. Then they have to make the fianl decision themselves.
Nope you misunderstood,my point was to not give together,space them apart. I was using amprolium in morning when you give fresh water,and the antibiotic in evening,as an example,i am perfectly aware that amprolium is in drinking water at all times. My information does come from my vet,if you have given them in the same container with no issues fine,but i was stating the information that i have.

I do agree that everyone must make their own decision and look up information. If i was giving amprol and antibiotics i would space apart,i would not put them together in the same container,this is my opinion on what i would do.

Last edited:
Nope you misunderstood,my point was to not give together,space them apart. I was using amprolium in morning when you give fresh water,and the antibiotic in evening,as an example,i am perfectly aware that amprolium is in drinking water at all times. My information does come from my vet,if you have given them in the same container with no issues fine,but i was stating the information that i have.
And that's cool, but the trouble with having 2 separate containers is you have no idea how much of each they are actually getting into their system. Using one takes the guess out of it. They would be getting the needed dosing of both this way. As I said, each of us has to make our own decision about how we treat our birds during times of illness. I wouldn't throw rocks at you for doing it the way you have been advised to do and I expect the same treatment in return. We can disagree and that's great! It gives separate ideas and the reasons behind them. For the person needing an answer, this gives them options in dealing with their birds. That is never a bad thing.

Thanks everyone. I mixed the two last night and we'll see what happens. The chick seems about the same today as it did yesterday, which I would say is good based on how quick the other two went down hill.

Just a follow up for those who might find this thread while searching. The chick pulled through and is doing well now. Based on how quickly the other two died and how this one was going down the same path, it is my opinion that this chick would have died as well had I not combined the two to cover the bases. The chick was between 6 and 8 weeks old at time of treatment. I mixed 1/4 tsp of Terramycin powder in a quart of water along with .6 cc of Corid 9.6 liquid. I changed the water every 8 to 12 hours and treated with Corid for 5 days and the Terramycin (antibiotic) for 7 days. I also gave the chick a single dose (.25 ml) of Safegaurd (wormer) 10% in paste form. I used a 3cc syringe with the largest needle I could find with the point ground off and very carefully gave that to him orally as seen here (http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm). I plan to do the second dose of Safegaurd (10 days after the first) tonight as well as treating his new companion with her first dose.

Last edited:
Just a follow up for those who might find this thread while searching. The chick pulled through and is doing well now. Based on how quickly the other two died and how this one was going down the same path, it is my opinion that this chick would have died as well had I not combined the two to cover the bases. The chick was between 6 and 8 weeks old at time of treatment. I mixed 1/4 tsp of Terramycin powder in a quart of water along with .6 cc of Corid 9.6 liquid. I changed the water every 8 to 12 hours and treated with Corid for 5 days and the Terramycin (antibiotic) for 7 days. I also gave the chick a single dose (.25 ml) of Safegaurd (wormer) 10% in paste form. I used a 3cc syringe with the largest needle I could find with the point ground off and very carefully gave that to him orally as seen here (http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm). I plan to do the second dose of Safegaurd (10 days after the first) tonight as well as treating his new companion with her first dose.
Excellent follow up! Thank-you!

Back
Top Bottom