Corid, Cocci?, Not better after 5 days...

MightyMama

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
I lost one hen last week, and I've been treating the rest of my 3 girls with Corid. One was really bad, and I feel like I caught it in time, but she's still far from better.

To sum it up, they are all around 3-4 months old. Not laying yet:
Chick 1: dead - loss of movement, lost all her weight, in hindsight had always held her head close to her body, found with lice on her as she faded. It was 2 days of me battling her, she improved over one night, but in only a few hours got worse and then didn't make it through the night.
Chick 2: was limping, nothing but feathers and bones, panting, having trouble keeping her wings up - NOW, walking and acting fine, put on a tiny bit of weight, still has bloody and watery poops, losing a lot of feathers, wings are still drooped but she's not readjusting them with every step
Chick 3: was fine - NOW, lost weight, holding head close to her body
Chick 4: Appears healthy

I was treating with 3/4 tsp per gallon, but then I read that this was too low, so for the last two days I upped it to 1 tsp, which I'm now reading is STILL too low. They've been on it 5 days...do I keep treating them? Do I up the dosage? Or do I take them off it and give them vitamins and such?

Here is a thread for Corid dosing:#593
Have you treated them all for the lice yet?

I lost one hen last week, and I've been treating the rest of my 3 girls with Corid. One was really bad, and I feel like I caught it in time, but she's still far from better.

To sum it up, they are all around 3-4 months old. Not laying yet:
Chick 1: dead - loss of movement, lost all her weight, in hindsight had always held her head close to her body, found with lice on her as she faded. It was 2 days of me battling her, she improved over one night, but in only a few hours got worse and then didn't make it through the night.
Chick 2: was limping, nothing but feathers and bones, panting, having trouble keeping her wings up - NOW, walking and acting fine, put on a tiny bit of weight, still has bloody and watery poops, losing a lot of feathers, wings are still drooped but she's not readjusting them with every step
Chick 3: was fine - NOW, lost weight, holding head close to her body
Chick 4: Appears healthy

I was treating with 3/4 tsp per gallon, but then I read that this was too low, so for the last two days I upped it to 1 tsp, which I'm now reading is STILL too low. They've been on it 5 days...do I keep treating them? Do I up the dosage? Or do I take them off it and give them vitamins and such?
Welcome to BYC! I'm guessing you have the powder? If so, treat with 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon with 2 teaspoons of water and give 0.34 ml orally per pound of body weight for 1-3 days. This can be done in addition to their medicated drinking water.

Since they have already been on Corid for 5 days, do I just continue with it at the higher dosage? Is that safe to keep going?

I just got the Prozap in the mail today for the lice, but I did put DE down in their run and coop, as well as put a little on them until I could get the dust. I'll be taking care of that tomorrow.

Since they have already been on Corid for 5 days, do I just continue with it at the higher dosage? Is that safe to keep going?

I just got the Prozap in the mail today for the lice, but I did put DE down in their run and coop, as well as put a little on them until I could get the dust. I'll be taking care of that tomorrow.
How many days have you done the higher dose?

Have you taken their poop to a vet for a fecal test yet?
Have you ever wormed them?

No, and I thought that was what corid should do...I'm very very new to actually owning chickens. It really sucks having to learn when I'm still learning all the basics

Corid will only treat cocci.
Cocci is not worms.
Read this:
Cocci Facts

It would be best if you could take some poop in to the nearest vet's office and have them test it to see what actual medicine they need. It's very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom