Corid dosing and supplements HELP

peeboo

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 9, 2008
fort bragg nc
I have an adult silkie hen that has coccidiosis. Online I read that bantams should have 1/2 tsp per gallon. I’m assuming that’s not enough as she seems to be declining. What’s the correct dose for an adult silkie? Also, she’s getting weaker and laying soft shelled eggs now. Is there something I can supplement her with food-wise to give her a boost? She ate a tiny bit of scrambled eggs today. Thanks

For all sizes of chickens (including chicks) the dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of 20% powdered corid per gallon of water, or 2 tsp of 9% liquid corid per gallon of water. Give this to all chickens as their only water source. Make a fresh batch daily for 5-7 days.
Also, do not give any vitamins/electrolytes during the treatment as this will negate the medicine!

Is there something I can supplement her with food-wise to give her a boost? She ate a tiny bit of scrambled eggs today.

Scrambled egg can be good.
Many chickens like their food better when it is wet: just add water to the usual pellets or crumbles. (In this case, use the water with Corid in it, so she gets her medicine that way too.)

When treating with corid, do not give any supplements that contain Thiamin (one of the B vitamins). So for any vitamins, or electrolye mixture, or other supplement you need to carefully read the label, or just skip them all until you are done treating her with corid.

laying soft shelled eggs now.
Make sure she has access to oyster shell or egg shells as a calcium source.

If that does not fix the soft shell eggs, she may feel too sick to eat them, or she may have some other problem that prevents her body from using them properly, so you might have to try something else. But leaving them available to her is the easiest thing to try first, and should not cause any new problems.

Scrambled egg can be good.
Many chickens like their food better when it is wet: just add water to the usual pellets or crumbles. (In this case, use the water with Corid in it, so she gets her medicine that way too.)

When treating with corid, do not give any supplements that contain Thiamin (one of the B vitamins). So for any vitamins, or electrolye mixture, or other supplement you need to carefully read the label, or just skip them all until you are done treating her with corid.

Make sure she has access to oyster shell or egg shells as a calcium source.

If that does not fix the soft shell eggs, she may feel too sick to eat them, or she may have some other problem that prevents her body from using them properly, so you might have to try something else. But leaving them available to her is the easiest thing to try first, and should not cause any new problems.
Thank you. Do you think it’s possible that the coccidiosis is preventing her from absorbing the calcium? She used to lay normal eggs until I started getting the bloody poops from her.

Thank you. Do you think it’s possible that the coccidiosis is preventing her from absorbing the calcium? She used to lay normal eggs until I started getting the bloody poops from her.
That's an interesting point, and I don't know for sure. Do you know if she is eating the usual amount of calcium? If she usually eats layer feed, then eating less feed would mean she gets less calcium too. If she normally gets her calcium from oyster shell or eggshells it might be hard to tell if she is eating a different amount.

Treating the coccidiosis is an obvious first step (which you are already working on), but I'm not sure what else you should try or how soon to try it.

How old is she? I would continue treating for coccidiosis, but with egg shell issues there may be more going on, like a reproductive problem. Coccidiosis can cause damage to the gut that can affect the absorption of all kinds of nutrients. You can give her probiotics at the same time as Corid, just make sure it's only probiotics and doesn't have vitamins in it. There are animal specific ones, or if you have human ones you can use those also, just no vitamins. The probiotics can help get the gut back in balance. If the droppings start looking better and she's feeling better, but the eggs are still soft, then you can give her a calcium citrate +D once a day ( Citrical -since she's a silky and small I would give her a petite) to see if that helps with the shell quality. If it's a calcium issue, then once the levels are brought up to normal, they most often are able to maintain it after that with normal diet.

How old is she? I would continue treating for coccidiosis, but with egg shell issues there may be more going on, like a reproductive problem. Coccidiosis can cause damage to the gut that can affect the absorption of all kinds of nutrients. You can give her probiotics at the same time as Corid, just make sure it's only probiotics and doesn't have vitamins in it. There are animal specific ones, or if you have human ones you can use those also, just no vitamins. The probiotics can help get the gut back in balance. If the droppings start looking better and she's feeling better, but the eggs are still soft, then you can give her a calcium citrate +D once a day ( Citrical -since she's a silky and small I would give her a petite) to see if that helps with the shell quality. If it's a calcium issue, then once the levels are brought up to normal, they most often are able to maintain it after that with normal diet.
Thank you. My silkie hen is a little over a year old. All my silkie hens shells have been nice and hard up until about a week ago when my sick hen laid a soft shell egg. Then she started with bloody poop and I took it in and they confirmed a high load of Coccidia. Been treating for a little over a day but I didn’t get the dosing right so I think I may have under-dosed her yesterday. I’m using 2tsp Corid per gallon starting today. I’m hoping to see a turn around. I will continue to feed yogurt.

Yogurt should be given in small amounts only, it does have probiotics in it, but it's also dairy, which can cause upsets if too much is eaten. 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon is correct. Start your 5 - 7 day dose period from when you started the correct dose. You can also give her an oral dose once a day for up to three days in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Yogurt should be given in small amounts only, it does have probiotics in it, but it's also dairy, which can cause upsets if too much is eaten. 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon is correct. Start your 5 - 7 day dose period from when you started the correct dose. You can also give her an oral dose once a day for up to three days in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Thank you for the info! Another question…after the 5 day dose, do I wait a period of time and dose again for a period? I remember seeing something like that somewhere. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom