Corid Oral Drench Instructions

Before go buy a bunch of meds, can you post some pictures of her and her poop?

No photos of poop, it's afternoon nap time here so no one is doing anything of that nature. Her eyes are clear and alert, but as you can see in the other photos her tail and wings are droopy, and she's still prone to grab a little shut-eye mid-stride.

I included a photo of her with two of our other birds (another EE and a dark brahma beauty) because our 102+ degree temps aren't doing anyone any favors--see the panting and droopy-only-in-the-afternoon wings on them--so we wonder if that might be part of what's bothering Peg, too. Hard to say.

Attachments

• 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200804150215997_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200804150215997_COVER.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200804_145238.jpg
    IMG_20200804_145238.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200804_145756.jpg
    IMG_20200804_145756.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200804_150442.jpg
    IMG_20200804_150442.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 8
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200804171902423_COVER.jpg

Alrighty, here's a poop from late yesterday afternoon. Although we've been able to see her poop throughout being sick, until I took this photo we hadn't noticed any blood. (Tells me we'll take photos from now on when we suspect illness, to take advantage of zoom & high definition.)

I haven't been successful catching her poop today, but she is looking even better than yesterday, so we are feeling more confident that she's improving.

No photos of poop, it's afternoon nap time here so no one is doing anything of that nature. Her eyes are clear and alert, but as you can see in the other photos her tail and wings are droopy, and she's still prone to grab a little shut-eye mid-stride.

I included a photo of her with two of our other birds (another EE and a dark brahma beauty) because our 102+ degree temps aren't doing anyone any favors--see the panting and droopy-only-in-the-afternoon wings on them--so we wonder if that might be part of what's bothering Peg, too. Hard to say.
Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's empty.

1596653585280.png

Will do. Any particular reason for this suggestion? I noticed you quoted one of the photos--is there something you see that we should be aware of?
You are in the middle of summer =Hot Weather.
I definitely would continue with the Corid, but that head tucked/chest high, "unprocessed" grass in the poop...just a hunch on my part really - if the crop is emptying by morning, that would be great!

You are in the middle of summer =Hot Weather.
I definitely would continue with the Corid, but that head tucked/chest high, "unprocessed" grass in the poop...just a hunch on my part really - if the crop is emptying by morning, that would be great!
Great, thanks again! We've not noticed a full crop when handling her each morning, but we'll be more conscious about checking it.

Update and request for further guidance: after several days of continued improvement, Peg seems to have taken a bit of a downturn yesterday. Her crop is not visibly full, but full-ish in the evenings and definitely empty in the mornings. Today she's head tucked, wings dragging, tail down, a bit fluffed--but she's eating & drinking normally, even pecking at the lower-rung pullets when feeding. Perks up noticeably when let out into the yard with the flock.

Now wondering if she may have developed a secondary infection from the coccidiosis, which we've seen mention of in various threads/online resources about cocci. We don't have sulfadimethoxine & are concerned we wouldn't be able to get it via script in time to be useful since chickens can go downhill so fast.

We do have 8 packets of Bird Biotic on hand, at 100mg doxycycline hyclate/packet.

TWO QUESTIONS: 1) does anyone have experience using this for this purpose? And 2) directions say to give in 8 oz. of water, but is it possible to dose doxy directly via a dropper?

Sorry to chip in.
My birds still have blood and I'm wondering if there's a chance they don't have coccidiosis? They aren't showing any other symptoms. They've been off meds at least a week and are still acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom